Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administrator & Password

Hello

I upgraded my Powerbook G4 from OS X 10.2.8 to Leopard 10.5.
Originally I did not have a user password, so I went through the procedure I found on this site to make one. That worked great!!! Now, however, I can't install any programs because that administrator and password box keeps appearing. I never had an administrator name and password set up under the old OS either, however I haven't seen any guides demonstrating how to create those. Also, I tried rebooting from the install disc, but I haven't been able to do that either. Could it be because I am not using the internal DVD drive (which is broken) and am instead using an external DVD drive? I would think that pressing the C key during a restart would still work with the external drive...especially since that is how I installed Leopard in the first place.

Anyone know what I should do???? I haven't paid for technical support, so I bet calling Apple wouldn't help.

Thanks in advance.
Tracee
tracee@cybergal.com

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.5), only external DVD drive, 512 MB, 867 GHz

Posted on Dec 7, 2007 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2007 7:03 PM

From your post, I'm guessing you already found http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306508 but just in case...

RE the DVD: try holding down the Option key while booting. If we're lucky, and if it isn't Intel-Mac only, that will give you the option of booting from the hard drive or the external DVD.
2 replies

Dec 8, 2007 9:57 AM in response to Mr.Lobotomy

Thanks for the information!!!! Pressing the Option key while rebooting did in fact enable me to choose the Install DVD as the startup disk where pressing C had failed. I was then able to reset my admin password as described in the Leopard help topics...and everything is good!!!! Thank you for your help...now I can use my new ipod which was the whole reason for the upgrade anyway!!!!

Administrator & Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.