Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 sleeps, then freezes and fans go overdrive.

I've browsed back a bit and noticed there are more than a few other people with this same issue.

I have a Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8. After upgrading to Leopard I noticed this happening more often, but ever now and then my Mac will go to sleep and freeze there. No keyboard action will wake it. Plus, while it is frozen asleep the fans to into overdrive. I have heard the fans kick up before while the machine is awake, but I have never heard anything like when this asleep/freeze happens. My wife likens it to a jet engine.

I recall this happening once through all iterations of Tiger. But with Leopard, it has now happened four times total.

I had done a clean install of Leopard, and I've only reinstalled a few other programs—iLife, iWork, Office 2004, CS 3, so no legacy from Tiger is hanging around in there.

Still, I have a habit of launching Activity Monitor when things behave strangely and I had noticed some strange things in Leopard that has me checking this out more often recently. I think I may have noticed some odd behavior by some programs that may be related to my Power Mac G5 intermittently freeze/revving unbelievably while asleep.

It seems that there is a greatest likelihood of the computer revving while asleep when the Real Memory allocated to the kernel_task process has climbed to roughly 300 MB. I thought it might also be a factor when other apps grabbed a massive chunk of Real Memory, so I've been alert for when Safari (for instance) climbs towards 300 MB of Real Memory as well. But no, the only one that seemed for certain to be related to this issue was kernel_task climbing to stratospheric Real Memory amounts.

Quiting apps helps get stupid programs like Safari to free up its Real Memory allocation, but I don't know of any way to get kernel_task to release its Real Memory allocation to proper levels besides restarting the entire computer.

Ever since I have noticed this apparent correlation between kernal_task and the freeze/sleep + fans issue, I restart or shutdown my Mac. And since I began shutting down my Mac when I see the Real Memory of kernel_task getting too high I have not had my Power Mac experience the freeze/sleep + fans.

I would be curious if anyone else who had noticed this freeze/sleep + fans issue has noticed if doing what I describe above helps them. I'm not sure why roughly 300MB of Real Memory seems to be a tipping point for me and I wonder if it might be a different amount for other people with Power Mac G5s and this issue. I wonder why kernel_task climbs to the heavens like a spreading wildfire grabbing more Real Memory and I wonder why Safari does it as well.

Dual 1.8 GHz G5, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2007 9:17 PM

99 replies

Dec 8, 2007 7:16 PM in response to Anondson

*now and then my Mac will go to sleep and freeze there. No keyboard action will wake it. Plus, while it is frozen asleep the fans to into overdrive. I have heard the fans kick up before while the machine is awake, but I have never heard anything like when this asleep/freeze happens. My wife likens it to a jet engine.*

Hi,
I think I'm having the same issue. Th thread I started is here...<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1280740&tstart=0>

Coolant leaks issue is a likely culprit.

One thread said to get it in for repair before it gets worse.

I've been offloading data and preparing for the worst.

Sigh, I wish I could get a straight answer.

*Ever since I have noticed this apparent correlation between kernal_task and the freeze/sleep + fans issue, I restart or shutdown my Mac. And since I began shutting down my Mac when I see the Real Memory of kernel_task getting too high I have not had my Power Mac experience the freeze/sleep + fans. I would be curious if anyone else who had noticed this freeze/sleep + fans issue has noticed if doing what I describe above helps them. I'm not sure why roughly 300MB of Real Memory seems to be a tipping point for me and I wonder if it might be a different amount for other people with Power Mac G5s and this issue. I wonder why kernel_task climbs to the heavens like a spreading wildfire grabbing more Real Memory and I wonder why Safari does it as well.*

I'll have to look into this also.

So long for now, TOM

Jan 2, 2008 8:28 PM in response to Anondson

I am having all the same problems as you. Out of my 3 computers, only the G5 is having the problem. I have talked to Applecare, hauled the G5 into the Apple store - no help excepting to archive and reinstall Leopard. I have just finished my second attempt at this with it being unable to finish the install. The first time, I had over an hour to go on the install. The second time I got down to less than a minute left before it froze and then slowly started to ramp up the fans. I dug through console - when I could still use my computer - and could not find anything that was in common through all the crashes. The HP drivers were one area that I was curious about, another was time machine, another was .Mac Syncing. I am not unconvinced that it is a Leopard issue - all my craziness happened after the upgrade (iTunes, iPhoto, Mail all crashing and finally the total machine crashing).

This has to be processor and operating system specific. Otherwise, this would have replicated itself on my other machines. I am just a wannabe DIY guy, so I can't figure out why sometimes it does this when it is all by itself without me touching it, and other times when I am stressing it. At the genius bar, the "genius" tried to stress the processor - no failure even after stressing it for 40 minutes. Sometimes it crashes in less time with less processor work - sometimes longer with more processor work.

Any other ideas? And how in the heck do I get my machine to start back up again? I still have my logs that I smartly emailed myself if that would help anybody to help me.

Thank you

Jan 3, 2008 7:57 AM in response to dandeliondigital

Only the 2.5 & 2.7 GHz G5s have liquid cooling ... the Dual 1.8 uses heat pipes, which don't leak per se, they either work perfectly or fail completely.

If cooling is marginal, for whatever reason, a shareware utility such as "Temperature Monitor" will quickly tell if the CPUs are over temp or not. If not more than 60 degrees C at full stress, then the problem lies elsewhere. I am attempting to diagnose a similar problem on a dual 1.8, and I think it may actually be a firmware issue as the CPUs are running very cool.

Jan 8, 2008 6:42 PM in response to Tim Flynn

Me too. The hard drive in my G5 Quad failed so I had it replaced under AppleCare. I thought this would be a good opportunity to upgrade to Leopard so I bought the software (10.5.1) and installed it as soon as I had the machine back.

Now it does this "fans in overdrive thing" when I put it to sleep and the keyboard won't wake it. Specifically, I hit the sleep button and 10 seconds or so later the fans all start going. This never happened before (under 10.4). I don't put it to sleep anymore either.

Jan 11, 2008 10:31 AM in response to Anondson

I have a PowerMac G5 single 1.6 mhz machine, and I've had the same jet engine experience described here. I have not yet upgraded this machine to Leopard - still working with the latest version of Tiger. Also, lately my machine has been freezing on any attempt to put it to sleep manually. I'm still searching for a solution, but I think I'll try the "sleep deprivation" work-around myself.

Jan 20, 2008 2:35 PM in response to David Jennings

I just got a call from the apple store yesterday (after 2 weeks). They say that they were replacing my logic board when a post? broke around one of the processors. Although I will be without my computer for a bit over 3 weeks, I am getting a replacement. I think I just won the lotto for once. Thank you Apple Care. Good luck to you all - I am out of the G5 game.

Jan 20, 2008 6:22 PM in response to Anondson

I've had the same problem with my wife's Power PC G5. It's a Dual 2G running 10.4.11 and the problem happens over night. I have the G5 sleep mode turned off. The only thing that runs at night is the Chronosync backup software. I'm going to change the back-up time to noon and not midnight to see if I can eliminate that issue. Had the G5 for several years now and this is the first time this has happened.

The PC stops working and the screen is blank and the fans sound like a jet going by. It's really cold here so there is not a heat problem.

Thanks for any help,

Louis

Power Mac G5 sleeps, then freezes and fans go overdrive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.