Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

JPEG's in CoverFlow are extremely pixelated

While this is nice in terms of performance, is there a way to make Quickflow enhance the resolution if perhaps I request it to with a given folder?

Now, if I can just find the preference for Auto-Make Cup of Coffee How I Like It, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Dec 9, 2007 9:09 PM

5 replies

Dec 10, 2007 12:30 AM in response to OS Lucinity

The problem is usually whether or not the items already have a custom icon. If they do the icon is a mere 128x128 pixels and if you make the Cover Flow section a pretty fair size they will look pixelated. Graphics that don't have an icon will be drawn by the Finder and look good at all sizes (up to 512x512). If a file has a custom icon "built-in" Finder assumes that's what you want to use, so that is what it displays. The advantage is that in Icon view such files display instantly, since Finder only displays what is there, while those without the custom icon take a bit of time for Finder to draw the icon. If you prefer the higher resolutions possible with Cover Flow the only solution is to strip the custom icons. You can do this yourself with Automator, or you can use a third party application such as CocoThumbX.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Jan 23, 2008 5:02 PM in response to petrock

OMG - that is BRILLIANT!
I was having the same problem and it was that easy! Bless you Petrock. You indeed rock.
Now if there was only a way to remove these blasted thumbnails files everywhere.

And I wonder if a similar approach can help me fix a similar problem I'm having with my iPhoto thumbnails which keep showing up with the wrong photo.

JPEG's in CoverFlow are extremely pixelated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.