Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appearance for MU

Hello. Whenever I set a different Appearance for each user, it shows that appearance for EVERY user. Can't everyone have a different one? Also, in the "Limited User Accounts", whenever I log in to check everything is ok, the Apple Menu has stuff like: Recent Applications and the other Recent stuff. Also it has "Favorites", which I told not to put there. I even erased these folders from the Owners Account. Why does it come back?

Posted on Nov 13, 2000 4:54 PM

53 replies

Nov 13, 2000 8:29 PM in response to Heronymo

According to the literature for MacOS 9, you are supposed to be able to set individual preferences for each user. I am a new user of an iMac with OS 9 and like the other message, I cannot for the life of me find out how preferences can be mantained by each user. They all default to the preferences of the owner account!
Can someone out please help me so that I can get my daughter of my back.
Thank you, happy new Mac user( except for this)

Nov 15, 2000 12:36 AM in response to Heronymo

Every user starts up with the Appearance selected by the Owner. They can change the Appearance, but it's lost at the end of the session. Similarly, the preferences 'Show Launcher at System Startu'p in General Controls and 'Show Control Strip' in the Control Strip control panel seem to be dysfunctional.

My 9 yr old son has somehow managed to change his desktop pattern on my PowerBook, but we can't reproduce it on my wife's Dual G4/500, both running 9.0.4. I can force Launcher to show at startup by manually putting an alias in the Startup Items folder for a particular user.

The ReadMe associated with Macintosh Manager 1.3 update suggests that this problem is being addressed there, but I'm not running my machines under a Macintosh Manager server, and there are bad vibes about 1.3 on Macintouch.

Can this problem have been around for the life of 9.0.4 and there only be two messages in this thread and nothing on TIL?

Nov 18, 2000 5:15 PM in response to Heronymo

I too am experiencing this same issue ever since trying out the
multiple user feature several days ago. My daughters are VERY
annoyed that their desk top pictures are not saved and my desk
top picture choice is the picture they are greeted with the next
time they log in under their name. We also noticed that the desk
top view options are not saved from one session to the next.
What this means is when the view option "Icon Arrangement by"
is set to "keep arranged by <choose any option>", the next time
they log in it is set back to "Icon Arrangement by" "none".

Nov 19, 2000 1:46 PM in response to Community User

Damon,

Thanks for your help in advance. I too am noticing appearance prefs not being saved from session to sesion. Mine usually seem to coincide with an error "the application login unexpectadly quit", which occurs after loging in or when logging out. Sometimes after this happens, the prefs change. I want to point out that it is not always the case where the other users' desktop patterns revert to the owner's pattern - I have seen my pattern (the owner) revert to that of another user.

Could the error I am receiving be an extention conflict. I do not have file sharing on. That is not necessary unless we want to share files, correct?

I have a 233mhz rev b imac, and I recently installed upgraded 8.5 to 9.0.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Brad

Nov 20, 2000 7:18 PM in response to Heronymo

I have similar problems, like sound and control strip prefs being ignored for the other user. Like the Login app often freezing (all extensions load OK, but once the Login screen appears, the Mac is frozen. This often happens from a cold start when everything was running great previously and the computer was shut down properly. This is not acknowledged in the Knowledge Base.

Anyone know if reverting back to something other than MM 1.3 would help? I don't give a hoot about security--this is a PERSONAL computer. My wife and I would just like some different prefs. Should be simple, like the Mac.

Nov 21, 2000 12:24 PM in response to Heronymo

just like to add my 2pennyworth. We have just bought a new Mac to replace our ageing Performa running 8.6 and were specifically looking forward to setting up individual preferences for our son aged six. When it didn't work it kinda knocks your faith in Mac. Apple have been crowing about this facility ever since the launch of OS9 so come on guys, make me a happy Mac owner once more!

Nov 24, 2000 6:40 PM in response to Heronymo

I have dowloaded the MM1.3 even though I am not on a network. It STILL dosn't work. I'm guessing because MM1.3 only fixes the problems on the network and not the local Multiple Users. I want to set up different appearances for everyone. But I can't because of this problem. I hope this gets fixed soon. But untill then I am stuck with one background.

Nov 25, 2000 1:50 AM in response to Heronymo

Our G3/266MT w/9.0.4 had no problems setting user specific desktop pictures/patterns for months, but in the last few weeks, the ability to customize these settings has disappeared. The problem seems to be associated with the "User Prefs" file found in each user's Preferences folder - swapping those into one profile from another changes the background to whatever it was with the originating user.

This is a relatively minor issue in my case (no crashes or unhappy children), but I hope the issue is resolved expeditiously. Then again, Mac OS X is far more important . . .

Nov 27, 2000 3:59 PM in response to Community User

my fiancee & i have a g-4 and his desktop page works fine, mine does not. i want my launcher to open up when i open my desktop but it does not and the little box is checked for it to open during start-up in the control panel. i also hate my appearance picture on my desktop and i have to change it everytime i use my desktop!!!! it never saves it the way i want it. can this be fixed or not? it is really driving me crazy!!!!!!

Appearance for MU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.