Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Message

When at pogo.com and trying to play Mahjong, I get a message from them about Java. Game tries to load, 2-3 mins, then:

"The following error has occurred:
Java Not Found or Not Working

Explanation:
You must have Java installed on your computer in order to run Pogo games, and it must be functioning properly. This error means you either don't have Java installed yet, or your Java is not working correctly.

How to fix the problem:
Java is a free download that is required to play Pogo games. Not all computers come with Java pre-installed. If you haven't played Pogo games before and are getting this error, you probably just need to install Java on your computer. Click Here for instructions on installing Java for your operating system and browser.
If you already have Java installed and are getting this error, your Java may be out-of-date or is no longer working. In that case, your Java needs to be upgraded or reinstalled. If you need help, click here. "

I do have Java enabled. I tried a download and install of MRJ 2x. Right off the bat I got messages about having newer stuff already and did I want to replace. EG, "svensk" is newer, do you want to replace?" , or words to that effect.

(My OS X vol is whacky and I'm using OS 9 and Exploder 5.0 right now.)

Thanks!

David

Posted on Aug 16, 2005 11:22 AM

13 replies

Aug 16, 2005 5:16 PM in response to David Cun

I play Pogo games. Boy are you soooooooo 19th century. 😉
Pogo.com website is now up to the 21st century & you must keep up too! 😉

You will need to update your OS to at least OS 9.1.

Update to Internet Explorer v5.1.7
Increase it's preferred memory-300%
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=18278 Mac OS: Assigning More Memory to an Application Program.
The same directions are also in the OS Mac Help Menu.

Download & install:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75097 Mac OS Runtime for Java 2.2.5

After doing all of the above, rebuild your desktop.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=10182 Rebuilding Desktop File and Icon Recovery.

Since IE is no longer supported & you want to continue playing Pogo games w/o any problems, you will need to do the following from now on:
Once a week in IE Edit>Preferences, delet History, Empty Cache (if you have cable set Cache to 0).

Once a week Go into the system folder>preferences folder & trash the following preferences:
finder
ASLM
PPC Registration Database
Cache.waf-found inside the MS Internet Cache folder
MRJ Cache folder-a new one will be recreated.(If not found go to System folder>Application Support>MRJ Cache folder-trash all you find inside-( DO NOT TRASH THIS FOLDER)
Download Cache-found inside Explorer Folder
Downloads.html-found inside Explorer Folder
History.html-found inside Explorer Folder

Rebuild your desktop w/extensions off. Use Techtool Lite or Trash*Desktop - may delete Finder comments to rebuild your desktop w/extensions off. Does a better job than manually & you avoid all the finger gymnatics. You just have to hold down the shift key to shut off extensions.
Restart to turn the extensions back on again & empty the trash.

If you want to rebuild manually, see KB article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=10182 Rebuilding Desktop File and Icon Recovery.
---------------------------

TIP: You can also play Pogo games on iCab without doing all of the above *browser maintenance*. You can get it @ Mac browsers

Aug 17, 2005 9:40 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Baby:

I'll ignore your opening remark.

As stated, I normally run OS X. And you're still in 9?

I'm running 9.2.2

I've since updated to IE 5.1.7 and have 50k of mem assigned to Preferred. BTW, the ArtNum says, "increase preferred memory 25-50%..."
Guess what? Same java message at Pogo.

As stated, I tried to run MRJ 2x but was advised that I already have newer items than the update. Do you therefore advise to install it anyway?

Great tips about weekly maintenance. I already do the cache.waf, history.html; add to that the Temp folder. Have to admit, not the other stuff unless having problems with Exploder. Hmmm...but wait...I AM having problems with Exploder...lol.

I have rebuilt the desktop and zapped PRAM.

You've provided some excellent maintenance tips and gone to considerable lengths to include links. And the iCab advice and link is great info too.

Do you still advise running MRJ 2x? Even with the response that I'm getting?

Actually, I'm back using Panther and Safari but thought it'd be a good idea to get the "19th century OS 9 side" operating properly.

Thanks,

David

Aug 17, 2005 6:13 PM in response to David Cun

David,
I stand corrected. Your original post stated you had OS 9 (To me that means OS 9.0) & using outdated MRJ reason for my 19th century statement on a 21century game site.
Sorry, but we need specific info to give correct troubleshooting* information.

CORRECTIONS: Since you now confirm that you have OS 9.2.2 you must download http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120209 Mac OS
Runtime for Java 2.2.6

Pogo games requires the most updated MRJ to your current OS system.

IE v5.1.7 is a memory hogger & leaker. If you have plenty of real RAM, you must at least allot-300% since you play java games.

I got rid of IE because I got tired of babysitting it because it's no longer supported.
iCab is the only browser under OS 9.x you can play Pogo games w/o all the TLC (Tender Loving Care).

PS: I may still use OS 9.1, but you better believe it's the 21st version. I have no browser problems & it does what I want it to do. 🙂

Aug 18, 2005 6:28 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Does iCab have a way to migrate Favorites from IE?
Or addresses from Outhouse Express? Use iCab3.0Beta?

BTW, since I've had to do too many force reboot/shutdowns, "The Missing Manual" says to use CMD OPTNForce Reboot. I don't have a 'force reboot' key on this ol' Apple Model M2980. And at the store I checked the latest keyboards hooked to a G5 and a G4 and didn't see it on them either. Am I missing something? I hate doing CMD OPTNPower key.

Thanks for the MRJ 2.2.6 update.

David

Aug 18, 2005 7:03 AM in response to David Cun

David: To force a reboot, use Command-Control-Power key. Command-Option-Power key does nothing, as far as I know. There has never been a "Force Reboot" key on any Mac. You may have misread the instructions in "The Missing Manual".

I can't answer your iCab questions, never having tried to get anything from IE or OE (except far away) ;o)

Aug 18, 2005 7:43 AM in response to eww

Now I stand corrected. I do use CMD CNTLPwr. And I did misread. He says to use Cmd+Force Quit to force quit a program. And I haven't seen a Force Quit key on any keyboards. As I've been using 9 lately, I've also been using Nutscrape 7. It freezes fairly frequently and Cmd+Q doesn't work. Nor does Optn+Esc, nor does Cmd CntrlEsc, nor does Cmd OptnEsc. Whew!!

At any rate, I hate that I've done way too many force reboots lately; and the concomitant, "...computer was not shutdown properly...."

I'm just determined to get 9 right before I go back to trusty Panther.

"...never having tried to get anything from IE or OE (except far away) ;o) ..."

LOL!

How bout migrating Address Book .app to iCab?

Ooops, almost forgot; MRJ2.2.6 did the trick at Pogo. I just continued thru the messages about replacing newer stuff with older. "svensk", "japaness", "Italian", etc.

Aug 18, 2005 9:57 AM in response to David Cun

Never seen a Force Quit key either. Maybe he means to hold down the Command key while clicking the onscreen Force Quit button that's offered when you click Cmd-Opt-Escape. That button alone doesn't always do the trick, and maybe holding down the Cmd key while you click it improves its percentage. This is just a guess. (Is this The Missing Manual for OS 9 you're reading, or the one for Panther?)

How bout migrating Address Book .app to iCab?

Dunno — I don't use Address Book.app either. I've used nothing but Eudora for email for almost exactly 10 years, ever since I ditched AOL.

Aug 18, 2005 11:30 AM in response to eww

I'm using the MM for Panther. Actually there's one for Jag also.

OS X Mail is a pretty nifty email program.

I'm using iCab as we speak. So far so good. It's pretty nifty also.

eww:
While I have your attention (lol), my X vol has crapped out. DW reports, "no system folder found". How can that be? What it does is load to the grey screen with the apple but then just spins. I tried single user mode but it stuck at "still waiting for root device". I started in verbose mode (XPF) but don't know anything about the responses there.

I've disconnect all USB and SCSI devices to no avail. Seems I've read that that particular stuck mode is a CDROM issue? I have a LIteon CDRW that's been fine for about two months. I can start from the install CD with the Liteon. Whackiness started after trying to install a Sonnet G3 466 ZIF. Per Sonnet it's plug and play; totally compatible; no firmware nor software needed.

Any ideas? Archive and install X? I can open the Panther vol off the desktop but I'm ignorant about what to do with it. Any way to just add a system folder?

Thx!

Aug 18, 2005 12:13 PM in response to David Cun

Hi, David. All this ricocheting back and forth between OS 9 and OS X questions, without any clarity about which they are, has certainly complicated this thread and the process of solving your problems. I encourage you to repost your current Panther problem in the Panther forums, where it belongs. When you do so, be sure to say what version of Diskwarrior you're trying to use.

Mail may be a nifty application, but Eudora is what I'm used to, and it serves all my needs well. I do use the latest OS X-native version of it.

Aug 18, 2005 5:42 PM in response to David Cun

"How bout migrating Address Book .app to iCab? "
iCab does not have it's own email program like Netscape.

"I've also been using Nutscrape 7. It freezes fairly frequently"
You already know what I'm going to say! LOL

Download the latest version for OS 9.2.2 which is v7.0.2 & increase its preferred memory to 300%. It's also a memory hogger & leaker.
Here are some links where you can download from:
Netscape Browser Archive

Netscape v7.0.2

MacUpdate-NC v7.0.2

Aug 18, 2005 6:36 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

eww:

"...All this ricocheting back and forth between OS 9 and OS X questions, .."
You're right. Sorry! Eudora sounds promising.

BabyBoomer:
Great info. I'm so happy with iCab that I went ahead and trashed Nutscrape. LOL!

RE: Java message. The Commander played at Pogo for about an hour (using I.E.) and all's well with the world.

Thanks to all for all the help!

Aug 25, 2005 7:33 AM in response to David Cun

Hello,

I have a Powerbook running the latest Tiger Software. Also, I am using Netscape Navigator.

I am trying to play Chess at Pogo.com and I am getting the standard Java message that others have posted here.

It was working fine before but now it won't work. I try Safari and it works fine. I even downloaded Firefox and that doesn't work. Maybe its something with Mozilla.

Here is the Java message I am getting:

The following error has occurred:
Java Not Found or Not Working

Explanation:
This error means Java (one of the technologies built into most browsers) is not working correctly on your browser.

You must have Java installed on your computer in order to run Pogo games, and it must be functioning properly. Either you don't have Java installed yet, or the Web browser you're currently using doesn't support Java or you have Java (or Javascript) disabled in your browser.

How to Fix the Problem:
Java is a free download that is required to play Pogo games. Not all computers come with Java pre-installed.

If you haven't played Pogo games before and are getting this error, you probably just need to install Java on your computer.
For instructions on installing Java for your operating system and browser click here.

If you believe Java might be installed but disabled for your browser, please be sure to enable the plugin for your browser. If you need help, click here.

If you already have Java installed and it is not disabled, your Java may be out-of-date or is no longer working. In that case, your Java might need to be upgraded or reinstalled. If you need help, click here.

Please help as this is becomeing annoying. Thanks

Java Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.