📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much disk space does a new user account take up?

I've always only ever had one user account on my Mac, that both my wife and I make use of.
I have recently been contemplating setting up a new user account just for her, rather than the one shared account that we currently use, so that she can make use of her own bookmarks and email and suchlike.
But my concern is that disk space on my laptop is at a premium for me, and I was wondering much extra disk space installing a new user account takes up? Apart from the documents she will store in that account, of course - I just mean how much disk space does the initial blank installation take up?

Anyone know the answer to this?

2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 17" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 10, 2007 3:13 PM

9 replies

Dec 11, 2007 8:59 AM in response to Brett Archibald

Hi Brett!

It would depend on the amount of data, that your wife will put in the account.

My one and only user account is 323.7 MB, and I do not store any music, or photos on the system.
What size is the user account you are now utilizing?

Joshz posted a valid point.
May I ask what size the Hard Drive is, and how much space is available?

Insufficient available space, can cause performance issues, system corruption, and possible loss of data.

Depending on Mac system usage habits, it is a general recommendation, to keep 10% to as much as 20%, of the Total capacity, available at all times.

Review the suggestions, in the documents that I have linked to below.

Authored by Dr Smoke:
Problems From Insufficient RAM And Free Hard Disk Space
Freeing Space On Your Mac OS X Startup Disk

Mac OS X 10.3/10.4: System Maintenance, authored by Gulliver
Maintaining Mac OS X, authored by Dr Smoke

Is the Mac shutdown overnight, or does it run 24/7?
Have you ever run any routine Maintenance procedures?
If you turn the PowerBook off nightly, the Background Maintenance Tasks, are never run.

These can also be run, using a Third-Party utility, or manually using Terminal, to run the CRON Commands.
I use MacJanitor, when necessary.

INSTRUCTIONS TO RUN CRON MANUAL COMMANDS
Quit all applications/programs.
Navigate to HD > Applications > Utilities.
Double click on Terminal, to open.
At the prompt, type:

sudo periodic daily

Press Return.
Enter your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
This will execute the daily script that is sheduled to run every night.
When completed, repeat this procedure, but change the command to:

sudo periodic weekly

This one rebuilds a database or two, and usually takes somewhat longer to complete. It is scheduled to run once a week.
Repeat again, with command:

sudo periodic monthly

Or they can all be run in one pass, which is preferable, with this command:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

When the tasks complete, and return to the prompt, you may quit Terminal.

Restart the Mac, and run Repair Permissions.

TO REPAIR PERMISSIONS ON THE STARTUP DISK
1.Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities, and select the startup disk in the left column.
2.Click First Aid.
3.Click Verify Disk Permissions to test permissions or Repair Disk Permissions to test and repair permissions. (I never "Verify". Just run "Repair".)

When "Repair Permissions" is complete. Quit "Disk Utility".

ali b

How much disk space does a new user account take up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.