Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW format compatibility with iPhoto

I am looking for a new camera that supports RAW. It is my understanding each camera manufacturer uses a different file extension on their RAW images implying there is a difference between the file formats. The list that Apple supplies for cameras that can be used with iPhoto is not up to date as many newer cameras do not show up on their list.

Would it not be safe to assume that if, for example, Canon comes out with a new camera with RAW format support their file type which is .CRW would automatically work with iPhoto. The same would be for Nikon, Olympus and the rest. If the new camera uses the same file extension as one of the older cameras by the same manufacturer on Apples compatibility list the new camera will be compatible.

Here is the list of extensions I found by manufacturer.

.raf (Fuji)

.crw .cr2 (Canon)

.kdc .dcr (Kodak)

.mrw (Minolta)

.nef (Nikon)

.orf (Olympus)

.dng (Adobe)

.ptx .pef (Pentax)

.arw .srf (Sony)

.x3f (Sigma)

.erf (Epson)

.mef .mos (Mamiya)

.raw (Panasonic)

.r3d (Red)

Mac Pro 2.66 GHz, MacBook Pro 2.1 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 250GB, 500GB, 500GB, 320GB HD's; 3GB RAM

Posted on Dec 10, 2007 5:57 PM

21 replies

Dec 10, 2007 7:07 PM in response to Bobbbo

This document should answer most of your questions: Digital camera RAW formats supported by Mac OS X 10.5.

Oops, didn't see that you were still using Tiger. This document may be more appropriate in that case: iPhoto 6: Supported RAW format cameras. There may be a Tiger doucment like the one for Leopard but I wasn't able to find it just now.

User uploaded file Do you Twango?

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries and Leopard. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

Dec 11, 2007 1:32 AM in response to Bobbbo

Bobbbo

It is my understanding each camera manufacturer uses a different file extension on their RAW images implying there is a difference between the file formats.

Yes, but it's even better than that. The same extension does not necessarily mean the same RAW type. The canon 40d may produce a .cr2 file, but it's not the same .cr2 file as the 1d produces.

Would it not be safe to assume that if, for example, Canon comes out with a new camera with RAW format support their file type which is .CRW would automatically work with iPhoto. The same would be for Nikon, Olympus and the rest.

Not at all. There can be a significant lag between the camera's release and the addition of RAW support to iPhoto - months, plus, not all cameras are supported.

If the new camera uses the same file extension as one of the older cameras by the same manufacturer on Apples compatibility list the new camera will be compatible.

This is not necessarily the case at all.

Regards

TD

Dec 11, 2007 8:49 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

Thanks for the list but the cameras I am looking at are not on the list. The list as I stated earlier is really old as I see no cameras that support RAW that were released in 2006 and 2007, or Apple simply is way behind on their RAW support. Photoshop CS3 released an updated plug-in to support the cameras I am looking at, but I do not want my wife to learn to use Photoshop as it is just too much for her. I recently purchased iLife'08 and thought their iPhoto 7.1.1 would have newer camera support.

Dec 11, 2007 8:56 AM in response to Bobbbo

Bobbbo

Can I suggest you're going about this the wrong way: better to post here and on the Aperture forum with a list of the cameras that you're considering and seeing if they are supported. I suggest the Aperture forum for a wider spread - and anything supported on Aperture is also supported by iPhoto.

Regards

TD

Dec 11, 2007 9:11 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

Thanks for the information. I have been a RAW fan for years when I bought the Canon Digital Rebel that supported .CRW RAW files. Certainly it takes up more memory on your flash card, but it is amazing how details can be recovered when your original picture was shot with incorrect settings.

I will give you a little more details of why I have asked the question. My wife travels a lot and I bought her a point and shoot Nikon digital camera. She has taken many pictures with the camera and I have taught her how to improve and crop the photos for printing with iPhoto. She is not very computer literate, but has gotten the hang of iPhoto. She recently broke the Battery door on her Nikon do to a bad design and it will take the same price to repair it vs. getting a new camera. So rather than fix it I was looking at getting her a new camera. She also takes many indoor pictures and with these inadequate flashes built into most cameras, the photos need a lot of work. I have found that I have consistently been able to repair or improve my flash shots much much better when taken in RAW vs. JPEG. So I was thinking to get her a RAW capable camera.

The 2 cameras I am looking at are the Canon PowerShot G9 and the Olympus SP-560 UZ. Both Cameras were released this summer. The Olympus SP-510 UZ was the first generation of Olympus's SP-5XX series of cameras that all support RAW, and it was released Aug 2006, but none of these series cameras are on the Apple support lists.

Anyway that is more background, so maybe someone out there has one of these cameras and has tried working with their RAW format files in iLife'08.

Feb 12, 2008 10:19 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

I just got an email from Apple that Aperture 2 is now available. I bought the Canon G9 for my wife and according to the apple site on RAW compatability:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

The Canon G9 is now supported except that it has an * note next to it stating:

+Cameras and camera backs followed by an asterisk require Aperture 2 with Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.11 or Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.2 or later.+

I tried importing her RAW files directly from the camera and it said the RAW files were unreadable. I was led to believe reading RAW files was an OS issue not an application issue. So if it works for Aperture 2 it should work for iPhoto as well.

Feb 12, 2008 1:23 PM in response to Bobbbo

Have you tried uploading the RAW files to the desktop first and then into iPhoto. Users have reported issues with importing directly into iPhoto from a camera but were able to import once the files were on the HD. It's a long shot but might prove to be a workaround for you.

User uploaded file

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries and Leopard. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

Feb 12, 2008 1:29 PM in response to Old Toad

When I plug my camera into my Mac (USB) the camera does not appear on the desktop, but iPhoto sees it. So I cannot get to the card data. My card reader does not read this new Flash card, so I can only read the card through the camera. I have ordered a new Card Reader, but in the mean time any suggestions?

Feb 12, 2008 2:21 PM in response to Old Toad

I don't think it will:

What's been updated in the last 24 hours:

10.5 has gone to 10.5.2 - and this has added RAW support for iPhoto for extra cameras.

Apertures has gone to v2, on both 10.4 and 10.5, and this has added Raw support for extra cameras in Apeeture.

But iPhoto relies on the OS for Raw support, and 10.4 has not been updated. Neither has iPhoto. Ergo, running iPhoto on 10.4 has not been updated.

I don't see how they can possibly not add support for these cameras in 10.4, but it may take a day or two longer to arrive.

Regards

TD

RAW format compatibility with iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.