Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing audio books from CD into iTunes

How do I import audiobooks into iTunes.
HOw do I get them into the Audiobooks folder in iTunes. When I have tried to download from a CD, the audiobooks go into the Music folder in iTunes.
But don't files like this belong in AudioBooks folder?

When I download several AudioBook CDs in a set, the chapters all download but not in the correct order. All Track number '1' of all the CDs show up first, then all the Track number "2" from the separate CDs show up next and so forth.

What I need is for Track 1 throughX of CD number one to show up with tracks 1 through x of CD number two to follow.
How do I get the tracks in the correct order?
What are the correct steps I need

Dell Dimension, Windows XP

Posted on Dec 10, 2007 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2007 7:09 PM

http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/
5 replies

Dec 10, 2007 9:10 PM in response to Barbara Passman3

Go to the link mentioned above. There is a lot of information there but it is not to complicated. Basically, rip CD into AAC format, delete from library without deleting file, change file extension to m4b, add to library again.

For your file ordering problem there are a couple things to try.
1. Make sure disc number x of y is filled in correctly in tage informatio for the tracks.
2. For multi CD sets use the disc number as part of album tags.

I rip audiobook CDs as one file. In the end I end up with this: (example)
track name album name
Star Wars Disc 1 SW4 Star Wars
Star Wars Disc 2 SW4 Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back Disc 1 SW5 Empire Strikes Back

When sorting by track name the files will stay in order within the book. When sorting by album name the files will be in order within the series and within the book. Also make sure the disc number x of y is correct.

Dec 10, 2007 10:33 PM in response to camoracer

Thank you. This advice is for my brother who is clueless on using his computer. .
We may have to start all over on his computer as I also suspect his iTunes is not properly set up.
All his audio files go into his Music folder, not the AudioBook folder
He manages to import the first CD in a set (from the library) and then things go wrong with ensuing CDs.
thank you, will check out the material you advise and share with my brother.

Dec 25, 2007 12:13 PM in response to camoracer

This is helpful . It is actually my brother who is trying to import audiobooks (multi CD "albums"). He alleges it worked fine until recently. Now, CD "a" of "x" imports perfectly showing name of the audio book and other meta data. However, starting with CD "b"of that same collection, the tracks import but are simply numbered as track 1,track 2,etc with NO other identifying data,NO name of the audiobook,etc.And after he imports the several disk set, the tracks are all messedup, sorted as "Track 1, Track 1,Track 1 Track 2 Track2" so that the audiobook no longer reads in correct order.
I suggested to my brother that he needs to add tag data after importing EACH CD, at the minimum identify it as CD "y" out of "X" CDs.

What puzzles my brother is that he alleges that until recently, he did not have to do any of this and that multi CD sets (all from the local library) imported properly.
Is there some sort of master preference (property in Windows language) that needs to be re-set? I have not imported Audiobooks so have no experience.
What is the norm? to have to fiddle with file tags or should each related CD simply flow in ,with latter CDs bringing in the same rich tag data as the first?

Thank you

Jan 25, 2008 8:59 PM in response to Barbara Passman3

I found a site that explains an easy way that seemed to work for me:

http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/itunes/importing-audio-cds/

There is also an application called Audiobook builder http://www.splasm.com/products/index.html.

It is a demo that give you 20 minutes of the book to try the app. I tried it and was not that impressed. It is $10 to register.

importing audio books from CD into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.