Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firewire transfer from G3 to ibook

How do I transfer data from my old B/W G3 with system 9.2.2 to my new ibook with 10.5 leopard ? The firewire cable is connected and I have verified firewire 2.8.5 on the G3, but Firewire icon does not appear.

Thanks for your help

G3 B/W and ibook, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Dec 11, 2007 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2007 10:36 AM

The Blue & White G3 was one of the first Macs to have a FireWire port, and it does not have the ability to do FireWire Target disk mode FROM the Blue & White TO the iBook. This article also lists supported computers:

58583- How to use FireWire target disk mode

You could reverse the direction of which disk is shared. This would mount the iBook drive on the Blue & White's desktop. You would have to drag and drop your files by hand -- I don't thing Apple's utility program will work automatically in reverse.

The other solution is to set up a small Ethernet network. This is appealing if you already use an Ethernet connection to the Internet -- you have the cables and you have used the Preference panes at least once.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2007 10:36 AM in response to jsk1

The Blue & White G3 was one of the first Macs to have a FireWire port, and it does not have the ability to do FireWire Target disk mode FROM the Blue & White TO the iBook. This article also lists supported computers:

58583- How to use FireWire target disk mode

You could reverse the direction of which disk is shared. This would mount the iBook drive on the Blue & White's desktop. You would have to drag and drop your files by hand -- I don't thing Apple's utility program will work automatically in reverse.

The other solution is to set up a small Ethernet network. This is appealing if you already use an Ethernet connection to the Internet -- you have the cables and you have used the Preference panes at least once.

firewire transfer from G3 to ibook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.