Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ok to use Windex on macbook pro display?

is it ok to use Windex on my display? Will it ruin it? what household cleaning stuff can I use on it?

Macbook Pro 2.4 17", Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Dec 11, 2007 2:30 PM

4 replies

Jan 8, 2008 12:32 AM in response to BelloDesi

Ohhh i've been using AJAX which is similar to windex to clean my macbook pro. I use a microfibre cloth, spray some on the cloth then wipe gently. I use it on the track pad and that brings it up looking new, because its basically a detergent and it removes finger oils... I've been doing this since it was new, that was April last year and my screen has not scratched and my case has not eroded into macbook pro powder. Mind you my screen is a matte finish. I've also used metholated sprits.. is that bad? Metho isnt as bad as you think its just 99% alchohol which is used in many cleaners. I bet the cleaner apple sells has alchohol in it to prevent streaking. and the macbook pro isnt painted so it wont dissolve the paint. I've been using these two cleaners since april and everything is still good. I did it to my 1.67 Powerbook G4 and thats still looking new. But i do put it in a neoprene case when not used so it doesnt need cleaning often

Jan 7, 2008 10:53 PM in response to WhtHawk

Despite Apple recommendations, I have to differ with them on two points:

1) Using 'water' to clean your display is a dopey idea. If you can get away with just using water, be sure to use DISTILLED WATER. It won't have any of the crud from typical tap water, or calcium carbonate, which leaves streaks on your screen.

2) NEVER USE PAPER. Why Apple put paper in their recommendations boggles my mind. Nearly all paper contains lignin, a tough material in plant cell walls which can scratch the plastic of your screen. Instead I ALWAYS USE SOFT 100% COTTON CLOTH. Sorry to yell, but it needs emphasis. I use old 100% cotton towels I've ripped up into squares. When they get dirty I just wash them and reuse them. I get perfect results.

Apple, despite their recommendations, actually sell a cleaner fluid at the Apple Stores. It is called iKlear. Here is the URL to it:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E5 17358&nplm=TK299LL/A

It qualifies Apple's previous recommendations as having NO AMMONIA and NO ALCOHOL. I can testify that it works great with perfect results. But what you get is a measly 2 ounces of fluid for $20, outrageously expensive. I don't buy it any more.

What I found works just as well for a lot less money, with no ammonia and no alcohol, is PLEDGE MULTI SURFACE Clean & Dust Spray. SC Johnson (formerly Johnson Wax) specifically designate its use for cleaning electronics and plastic. I love the stuff. I can't find anything like it apart from iKlean. Grab the small 16 ounce size and it will last you for years. You get 8x more than buying a bottle of iKlean and it won't cost no frickin' $20.

:-Derek

Ok to use Windex on macbook pro display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.