Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export mailbox to import on different Mac (Mail > Mail)

I have two Macs, laptop and desktop. I would like to import the Inbox from the laptop to the desktop, my main machine. How do I export, save or copy a mailbox? In Help it mentions how to save individual messages, but makes no mention of exporting a whole mailbox. (There is a page on copying, moving and deleting, but this is not exporting - dragging the Inbox to the desktop does not work).

There is nothing under File or anywhere about exporting. There is an option to "Import Mailboxes".

Thanks

G5, dual 2Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Dec 12, 2007 2:48 AM

8 replies

Dec 12, 2007 6:00 AM in response to Christopher Davis2

You're right. That is the reason. Sorry, but I forgot how to do this in 10.4 and don't have a Tiger Mac around right now, but you can always do this:
Copy /Users/<username>/Library/Mail to your other Mac. There select "Import" in Mail's file menu and navigate to the desired folder. The Inbox should be found in a folder called something like "POP-username@providername.com".

Dec 12, 2007 7:48 AM in response to Christopher Davis2

You should not copy this folder over the existing one, even though that is also possible. Go to Mail's File menu and select "Import". Then choose "Mail for Mac OS X" and when asked for the location, select the POP-xyz folder. Then you will have an "Imported" Mailbox containing your imported stuff. Just drag the content to where you want and delete this mailbox afterwards.

How to export mailbox to import on different Mac (Mail > Mail)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.