Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BUSINESS TRAVELER: Dealing with time zones

I travel for a living, and see several time zones each day.
The time zone support provided by Apple provides is a partial solution, but does not yet solve the problem.

If you don't leave your time zone too often, then you probably never thought much about the problem. But for those of us who do, there are basically two types of ZONERS.

1. Somebody who works simultaneously with people in different time zones. ZONE-NETWORKERS
2. People who travel in several time zones, but works locally in each zone. ZONE-HOPPERS

ZONE-NETWORKERS:
These guys reference one UNIVERSAL time, because they work simultaneously with people all over the world. They want to schedule a phone meeting at 4pm NYC time, and be sure the guys from Los Angeles get the invite for a 1pm meeting. ZONE-NETWORKERS do care about time zones, and everything they schedule is relative to a universal time. As they travel to different time zones, their scheduled events shift time (as they should) so that the phone conference is done at the proper world-wide time. Every time they land in a new city, the events on their Calendar should change. These guys can either use the default modes of iCal, or can enhance their usage by selecting "TIME ZONE SUPPORT" in the options. This feature seems to work for both iCal and iPhone.

ZONE-HOPPERS:
Take an airline pilot (or salesman) for instance. He references everything in LOCAL time. He takes his flight schedules right off the itinerary and puts the times directly into iCal (no time zones ... everything assumed local time, because everything at the airport will reference local time). And if he meets a buddy for lunch in Dallas, he schedules it at 12:00 noon, and his calendar always shows this event at noon. He simply wants his calendar to say "Friday @ noon", no matter what time zone he's in. He needs to know what time the flight leaves, what time the van leaves the hotel, etc. An 8AM departure is scheduled as 8AM local (no messing with time zones). This ZONE-HOPPER would like to maintain his calendar ignoring time zones (take the time from the system clock, but throw away the zone information).

Apple has tried to implement a solution for the ZONE-HOPPER in iCal using "floating" time-zones. Unfortunately, the iPhone does not have this new feature. If you have an iPhone, and use iCal's floating time zone, your iCal event times remain fixed, but your iPhone event times change will change. Not good!

One hack solution for the ZONE-HOPPER with an iPhone, is to use "Time Zone Support" on both the iCal and iPhone. Then pick ONE calendar time zone and stick with it on both machines. This solution (or as I said, "hack") is not without side-effects. Any calendar alarms set will not ring at the right time zone (except when you happen to be in that ONE time-zone which you always leave set. Don't use floating zones on events, if you have an iPhone. The times will change on you, as your phone's system clock is changed to a new time zone.

I am a ZONE-HOPPER. I am anxiously waiting a solid, integrated solution from Apple. Most of what I've written here about the iPhone and iCal features were knowledge gained through experimentations. There doesn't seem to be much documentation or guidance on this topic, and I can tell from other posts, that many are having trouble with this issue. I hope this is helpful to others trying to do the same thing, and I welcome any shared knowledge or suggestions.

-Craig

MacBook and iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Dec 12, 2007 10:12 PM

15 replies

Dec 13, 2007 12:02 AM in response to cwebber1

I have tried all the different settings for time zones. If you move one device then you have to move all your devices, phone, pod, computer, blackberry etc. Otherwise if you sync devices they get very confused.

After trying to stay Country local I have given up and keep everything on UK time all the time now. The problem arises when you, say, have a flight. If you put this in when set to local time then great it's there displayed correctly. However if you change time zones before taking the flight then the flight time will change specific to where you have moved to. You are then stuck with an earlier or later time and unless you remember which time zone you were in when making the entry confusion soon arises. If you always stay on the same time zone then the times for events will always stay specific to wherever you are. The only reason I can see to changing the computer time is if you use an alarm or need the time displayed. Buy a watch or use a widget is the answer to this.

Dec 13, 2007 8:28 AM in response to cwebber1

Wow, what a complicated story.

As a former frequent Zone-Hopper (both domestic and international), I can understand your issue but frankly, I never found it to be a big deal.

Why not just turn off time zone support and know that when lunch@noon means wherever you happen to be that day. Not being argumentative, just not clear why you have decided to abandon the most useful "integrated solution"... your memory.

Dec 13, 2007 9:44 AM in response to Mk Gonda

Mk Gonda wrote:
Why not just turn off time zone support and know that when lunch@noon means wherever you happen to be that day. Not being argumentative, just not clear why you have decided to abandon the most useful "integrated solution"... your memory.

Because I'm not talking about 1 or 2 meeting in a month. I'm talking about 60 or more flights, van times, etc. throughout the month. I enter most of them at the beginning of the month, by translating the text schedules into ICS files for iCal. I want to look at my calendar from any time-zone, and see the departure time as published by the airlines (just as it's printed on your ticket).

EXAMPLE (typical 4day trip)

Date Flight Orig Dest Dep Arr
12/3 3978 SLC RDM 11:51 12:36

12/4 Hotel van at 5:15am
12/4 3863 RDM SLC 06:19 08:44
12/4 3820 SLC BZN 09:55 11:13
12/4 3830 BZN SLC 11:33 12:46
12/4 3933 SLC MCI 13:42 16:53

12/5 Van at 5:00am
12/5 3797 MCI SLC 06:01 07:55
12/5 3814 SLC OKC 10:54 13:54

12/6 Hotel Van 5:10am
12/6 3878 OKC SLC 06:04 07:51
12/6 3878 SLC TUS 08:48 10:31
12/6 3992 TUS SLC 11:02 12:56

Like many cases, comprehending the problem is 90% of the effort, and implementing a solution is 10% of the effort.

Dec 16, 2007 3:39 PM in response to dpx

dpx wrote:
As I said before keep the time zone constant on the computer. All times correct at all times.

Works fine on the computer... The iPhone is where the problem exists.

The calendar on iPhone get's its time from the iPhone, which gets it from AT&T. Very nice feature with all cell phones! But since iPhone has not concept of a floating event (one that disregards the time-zone) the times will shift and the alarms will not sound at the right times.

Manually setting the iPhone's clock every time I land (and faking out the time zone) is not an option I'm interested in.

Dec 19, 2007 8:32 AM in response to cwebber1

Cwebber1: very nice writeup. I can tell that when I have the background to understand it, it will clear up a lot for me. However, I need help with baby step number one. Can you or someone else please explain what the last 6 lines on page 77 of the iPhone User Guide mean? They are under "Set iPhone to adjust event times for a selected time zone." What do they mean by a "selected time zone?" Is that the home one selected on iCal or the home one selected on iPhone or another one? I am a zone hopper. I wish Apple put a couple of examples in there. It is the only potentially mind bending part of the manual so far. Here is the text in question:

Set iPhone to adjust event times for a selected time zone
From the Home screen tap Settings > General > Date & Time, then turn Time Zone
Support on. Then tap Time Zone and search for a major city in the time zone you want.
When Time Zone Support is on, Calendar displays event dates and times in the time
zone set for your calendars. When Time Zone Support is off, Calendar displays events in
the time zone of your current location.

Thank you.

Dec 30, 2007 11:47 AM in response to dpx

dpx wrote:
I don't have an iphone but with my touch and indeed my nokia I leave them both on UK time as well. Is there no way to turn off the auto time update? I'm curious in case I buy an iphone in the future as I zip around with time zones too.

Exactly... this is an iPhone problem. (didn't have the issue on Palm, and apparently you don't have the problem on your Nokia).

Apple's iCal (on the computer) seems to have added "floating" as a time-zone option. That feature is NOT on the iPhone (yet?).

Dec 30, 2007 11:51 AM in response to AKCub

AKCub wrote:
Looks like you might fly for a living-
Have you figured out an easy way to integrate your line into iCal? It would be nice to have your schedule in your pocket and even better if it didn't have to be manually entered each month.

I wrote a script to take the company schedule, and convert it into an .ics file. Creating an ics is easy. Parsing the company calendar is the tough part.

Dec 30, 2007 9:40 PM in response to threeupforthewater

threeupforthewater wrote:
Cwebber1: very nice writeup. I can tell that when I have the background to understand it, it will clear up a lot for me. However, I need help with baby step number one. Can you or someone else please explain what the last 6 lines on page 77 of the iPhone User Guide mean? They are under "Set iPhone to adjust event times for a selected time zone." What do they mean by a "selected time zone?" Is that the home one selected on iCal or the home one selected on iPhone or another one? I am a zone hopper. I wish Apple put a couple of examples in there. It is the only potentially mind bending part of the manual so far. Here is the text in question:

Set iPhone to adjust event times for a selected time zone
From the Home screen tap Settings > General > Date & Time, then turn Time Zone
Support on. Then tap Time Zone and search for a major city in the time zone you want.
When Time Zone Support is on, Calendar displays event dates and times in the time
zone set for your calendars. When Time Zone Support is off, Calendar displays events in
the time zone of your current location.

Thank you.

iPhone with TZ Support=OFF:
** events change time when phone's clock changes time zone.
iCal with TZ Support=OFF:
** some events change time when system's clock changes time zone.
** other events don't change time even when system's clock changes time zone.
(I think the difference is, that some events specify zone as "floating")

iPhone with TZ Support=ON:
** event times are relative to the zone chosen in: General->DateTime->TimeZone
** however, the alerts for these events will ring based on the actual time zone 😟
iCal with TZ Support=ON:
** event times are relative to the zone selected in the upper right corner of the iCal.
** not sure if the alerts ring based on system clock zone, or on the iCal selected zone.

Hence: ZONEHOPPERS should probably turn on the TZ support for both iCal and iPhone. But give up on the alerts, because they won't ring at the correct time.

Jan 6, 2008 1:17 PM in response to cwebber1

I don't have a good solution, but I know how I would like to see Apple fix it:

I would like there to be a special "event" in iCal for airplane flights. Something that might even understand airport codes: SJC, SFO, PHX, ORD, etc., or city names, or zip codes. Then I would put my flight in iCal (something I do anyway). Depart SFO at some time, and arrive at PHX at some other time. Then I want to see the iPhone automatically adjust its own time (at the arrival time) for any change in time zone based on the airport code (it should know that PHX does not observe daylight savings time). If you sinc with a notebook, the iCal application would also know about the flight and change of time zone -- maybe there is a check box in preferences to indicate if this a traveling computer. Then the return flight would set the iPhone back to its original time.

Jan 7, 2008 10:36 AM in response to David Stark1

David Stark1 wrote:
I don't have a good solution, but I know how I would like to see Apple fix it:

I would like there to be a special "event" in iCal for airplane flights. Something that might even understand airport codes: SJC, SFO, PHX, ORD, etc., or city names, or zip codes. Then I would put my flight in iCal (something I do anyway). Depart SFO at some time, and arrive at PHX at some other time. Then I want to see the iPhone automatically adjust its own time (at the arrival time) for any change in time zone based on the airport code (it should know that PHX does not observe daylight savings time). If you sinc with a notebook, the iCal application would also know about the flight and change of time zone -- maybe there is a check box in preferences to indicate if this a traveling computer. Then the return flight would set the iPhone back to its original time.

The solution is much simpler than that.
Support "floating" time zones on iPhone, like they are supported in iCal. Applying the "floating" zone, means that the calendar takes the time at face value, and never considers time-zone for this event. (e.g. event-times never adjust when phone enters a new time zone and alarms ring based on phone time regardless of time zone)

Jan 11, 2008 9:52 PM in response to cwebber1

As far as I have found in my endless fiddling with iPhone and iCal events, stay away from the floating events! (at least until Apple also gives the iPhone floating events on one of the next upgrades).
BUT I activate 'time zone support' on BOTH iPhone and iCal and always keep both on the same time zone (in my case Berlin, although I now spent most of my time in L.A.) all new events I put in with the time zone Berlin. Then everything always shows the same time, no matter what.
To make it clear - I mean keeping the calendars in the Berlin time zone, NOT the phone or the computer. As far as I have found, once you keep your calendars on time zone support and keep them on the same time zone, it does not matter what time zone the computer or phone are in - the events will always be showing the same time, i.e. the time you entered in the first place
Because, let's face it, if I put in my calendar a meeting at 15:00 for April 10th or so and I know I will be in Bologna by then, then I know that this date will be in Bologna at 15:00. I don't really need to see that while I am in L.A. this would be at 6am. Slighty more information that I require.

Message was edited by: Oliver Latsch

BUSINESS TRAVELER: Dealing with time zones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.