Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Giant padlock on screen when i boot up!

When i boot, i get a screen with a padlock, a space to enter a password, and an arrow (responds to hitting "Enter"). Booting holding down "Option" gets this result also. Booting with the 10.4 CD in the drive and holding down "C" gets me no where. Nothing happens. Also i cant reset the PRAM, it doesnt reboot when holding down CmdOpt+PR... Im lost, please help!

PowerMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4 733Mhz

Posted on Dec 14, 2007 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2007 1:51 PM

Hi! The machine has been locked using hardware either with open firmware or with a low level disk program to keep it from starting up without the password. You must have recently bought it? Tom
4 replies

Dec 14, 2007 1:54 PM in response to Thomas Bryant

Actually i have had it for quite awhile. This all started happened after i tried to install Leopard on it and before realizing 733mhz wasnt enough. The installer let me know of that, then i rebooted expecting to go back to my install of 10.4 but i got this screen. In all my years of using macs i have never seen this. How can i fix it?

Dec 15, 2007 1:32 AM in response to Chris Riccio

Hi, Chris -

Your description of the screen sounds like what is shown in the pic in this Apple KBase article -
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

If so, then the firmware password function has been invoked. If you have not yet tried, try clicking the righthand button without entering anything in the password entry box.

Unfortunately, if you can not get past it, and it's real, you will not be able to boot the machine to any disk or volume unless you know the required password. It is a reasonably serious level of security, originally directed toward owners of portable machines.

There is a way that such a password can be disabled. For reasons of security, even if we do know the solution we do not post it in these forums - since these forums are accessible by anyone, even by those who have not registered, posting the solution could help nefarious types gain unauthorized access to machines. To find out how to do it, contact Apple's Tech support, or an AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider).

Giant padlock on screen when i boot up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.