Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows compatibilty

I Have a question! Im In school at the moment and looking into buying an i book. The only problem is that Im used to windows xp, and I need Microsoft office for my school courses. So I was wondering if there is a way to have the i book but with windows xp. Or if not if at least i would be able to use all the programs I need ( powerpoint, excel, word...etc)

Posted on Oct 25, 2005 1:02 PM

18 replies

Oct 25, 2005 1:05 PM in response to Marina Lehner

Hello Marina, welcome to discussions.

Microsoft makes a version of Office (with Powerpoint, Word, Excel, etc..) that is fully compatible with Mac OS X. You wouldn't need Windows XP at all.
If you do end up getting an iBook, I would recommend that you purchase the Mac version of Office as well.
If you are a student, I believe you can get some good discounts on both the hardware and software.

Oct 25, 2005 1:06 PM in response to Marina Lehner

You cannot run Windows XP natively on an iBook. You can run it using Virtual PC, but it will run with severely reduced performance.

If all you want is to run Office though, you can always buy the Mac version of Office, which includes all the same programs as the Windows version except for Access. The professional version of Office for Mac includes Virtual PC.

You can also use a number of programs besides Office to open powerpoint, excel, word, etc. documents. You can use suites like OpenOffice or NeoOffice. Pages can open Word documents, and Keynote can open Powerpoint documents. Appleworks can open Excel files and Word documents.

Oct 25, 2005 1:09 PM in response to Marina Lehner

You have a few choices.

So I was wondering if there is a way to have the i book but with windows xp.

No, you can't install Windows XP on any Mac as its sole operating system. It's a Mac. The hardware (mainly the Motorola CPU) is completely incompatible with Windows. It's not compiled to run directly on a Mac.

The only problem is that Im used to windows xp, and I need Microsoft office for my school courses.

No problem. You can do two things.

1) Buy Virtual PC and install it on your iBook. You'll need a version that includes a license of Windows. Then you can install your copy of Office for Windows and run Windows XP on your Mac in emulation.

2) Buy the Student/Teacher edition of Office 2004 for OS X.

In option one, the emulation will kill you. It will be nowhere near as fast as a real Windows box. You'll get tired of that real fast. On the other hand, with option two, you can get the Mac OS X version of Office just about anywhere for about $120. Less than the cost of Virtual PC with no reason to use it in emulation as it's a native OS X application. All of the files you would create with it will be completely compatible with the Windows version.

Oct 28, 2005 8:03 AM in response to iFelix

HI iFelix,

I just noticed yesterday that NeoOffice was a port of OpenOffice. I was trying to see why there would be two versions of essentially the same thing, but didn't really have time to look. NeoOffice is obviously the better choice since it eliminates having to install X11. I'll be linking to NeoOffice in the future instead.

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2005 8:20 AM in response to Jim Ireland

Get your iBook, and then a copy of AppleWorks. It's kind of the Apple version of Office, and while not as robust (yet)

And will probably never be. AW is no longer being "actively" developed, now Apple is focusing on iWork.

BTW you should have gotten AW on your wife's iBook, however, it may not have been preinstalled and could still be on her install discs somewhere, although it seems unlikely. If she has upgraded the iBook to Tiger doing an Erase & Install, she will have lost AppleWorks. She may not have noticed that AppleWorks was there until the upgrade, and then obviously it's gone, although she can reinstall it from her original install discs ... otherwise I dont know why AW wasn't there.

To the Original Poster :

I use NeoOffice and it works fine, I am able to read and edit Word files w/out problems. You might want to try it first, and then decide if you still want to buy Office:mac ...

Unless you are a heavy gamer, you will probably get used to OS X very fast (and undoubtedly love it). Helped by these forums, it took me 2 weeks at max. 🙂

Oct 28, 2005 10:51 AM in response to Will-Hi

Since nobody mentioned it, the education verision of MS Office 2004 can be had for as little as $139, and includes 3 licenses. If you can get a buddy or two to go in, that is less than 50 bucks per machine for Office. Quite a deal by any standard.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72504/wo/cf4P88V G4Hu02zca0nx1UsLL88G/1.SLID?mco=76AF8DD&nplm=T9188LL%2FA

Note that is does include Virtual PC or Access, and MS does not sell updates to the education versions. So when next verison of Office shows up, you have pay full price again.

Windows compatibilty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.