Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about "Previous Systems" folder

Hi,

Some time back, I was advised to do an achiveal reinstall to fix a problem on my iMac (which it naturally turned out, I didn't even have to do) and of course I had a "Previous Systems" folder installed as a consequence. What I wanted to know is if I can safely throw the folder away?

It has 7.5 gigs of crap in there which I would like to clear from my HDD if possible.

Message was edited by: Mr. Eeee

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), It's much too nice!

Posted on Dec 17, 2007 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2007 10:43 AM

Hello,

Have a read of this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270

You might wonder, "What do I do with the Previous System folder?" It may contain items that you need. To determine this, once you've finished configuring, installing, and updating your applications, compare the Previous System to the new System. If there are things in the Previous System folder that aren't in the new System folder, just copy them over. If you're not sure what some items are (and don't seem to need them), leave them in the Previous System folder. Once you're comfortable that you've got everything you need out of it, you can delete the Previous System folder (or leave it around if you're not low on disk space).

Hope that helps.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2007 10:43 AM in response to Mr. Eeee

Hello,

Have a read of this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301270

You might wonder, "What do I do with the Previous System folder?" It may contain items that you need. To determine this, once you've finished configuring, installing, and updating your applications, compare the Previous System to the new System. If there are things in the Previous System folder that aren't in the new System folder, just copy them over. If you're not sure what some items are (and don't seem to need them), leave them in the Previous System folder. Once you're comfortable that you've got everything you need out of it, you can delete the Previous System folder (or leave it around if you're not low on disk space).

Hope that helps.

Question about "Previous Systems" folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.