Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes version for iPod Classic

I bought an iPod classic yesterday and I brought it to work to hook up to iTunes (not having a home computer). I tried to download iTunes 7.5, but could not, so I downloaded 7.3.2 for Windows 2000. This installed fine, but now it won't recognise my iPod stating

"The iPod ... cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 7.4 or later. Go to iTunes.com to download."

Well, my computer cannot download iTunes 7.4 because it does not have the correct system requirements.

What options do I have other than returning the iPod, getting my money back and buying a different product?

Dell, Other OS

Posted on Dec 17, 2007 12:47 PM

6 replies

Dec 17, 2007 12:58 PM in response to Ancestral Celt

If you are using Windows 2000 I'm afraid iTunes isn't your only problem, your computer operating system is below the minimum requirements as well. The requirements for using the Classic on a PC are:

• USB 2.0 port
• Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2 or later)
• iTunes 7.4 or later
• Internet connection - Broadband recommended

Dec 17, 2007 12:58 PM in response to Zevoneer

* My computer does have a USB port, its connected to the PC already.
* Windows Vista or Windows XP are not essential requirements (according to the iTunes website) as it offers alternative downloads. There were no specifications listed on the iPod when I bought it for software.
* iTunes 7.4 cannot be loaded to my system, as I stated above.
* I have a broadband connection on my work computer.

Dec 18, 2007 1:55 AM in response to Ancestral Celt

Windows Vista or Windows XP are not essential requirements (according to the iTunes website)

Look again. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

User uploaded file

iTunes 7.4 cannot be loaded to my system, as I stated above.

Correct.

I have Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and the salesperson did not mention any minimum software requirements.

Then you need to take issue with the sales person because he/she was wrong.

What's more, other users in my firm have iTunes on their machines.

They may well do, but if they too run Windows 2000 it won't be an iTunes version that is required for running the iPod Classic.

See the iPod system requirements on Apple's site.

User uploaded file

iTunes version for iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.