Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Basic Info Needed

898 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2007 1:51 PM by BarbaraS RSS
BarbaraS Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 17, 2007 8:02 PM
1. How do I find which of my images is my 'master' image?
2. If I export a 'master' and work on it in Photoshop, and bring it back to Aperture is it still the 'master' image? If not how do I export the 'master' to bring it back as the 'master'.
3. In preferences should 'create new versions when making adjustments' be clicked?
4. Is there a reference I can refer to so I know what the 'icons' are that show up in the lower right of my images?
iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • David G Chapman Level 4 Level 4 (1,390 points)
    Dec 18, 2007 6:11 PM (in response to BarbaraS)
    Hi Barbara.

1. Versions have a badge icon, but an easier way is to go to Preferences and check "Create new versions when making adjustments." That way you'll see the master and any version(s) as a stack.
    2. Any image brought into Aperture is regarded as a Master, whether from camera or round-tripped to Photoshop. However, in the case of a roundtrip, is therefore a second master for the original. Personally I think Aperture messed this naming convention up at this point, and such a "master" should have been automatically added to the stack for that image.
    3. I prefer it checked (see answer 1 above). Try it both ways.
    4. Help files are good. There is a good video tutorial by Ben Long /Peachtree for around $30 which helps with workflow ideas, how to decide use of folders/projects or projects/folders as well as nuances in use of tools etc.

G.
    15" MBP 2.4GHz 4Gb / Quad 2.5G5 X1900 4.5Gb 2x500Gb, Mac OS X (10.5.1), When my Windows pc grows up, it wants to be a doorstop
  • PhotoMacGuy Calculating status...
    Dec 19, 2007 5:51 PM (in response to BarbaraS)
    Barbara Hi
    You are never work with the real master if you are using the a manage library. If you want to get up to speed in Aperture fairly fast you might want to think about the training at Lynda.com it helped me a lot and if you want you can just do it for a month 25$ It will be one of the best 25$ you can spent.
    http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?pid=200
    Just a thought
    Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), MacBook Pro
  • David G Chapman Level 4 Level 4 (1,390 points)
    Dec 20, 2007 4:17 AM (in response to BarbaraS)
    Hi,

The icons I referenced are called "badges" and if you do a Help search, you should see the details.

I agree that basic training will really help you. Until then, I suggest you open Preferences and check the "Create new versions when making adjustments" item in the top panel. It will make it much more obvious of the master and the version(s).

When you set Photoshop as your external editor in Preferences, Aperture manages round-tripping to Photoshop for you when you right click an image and choose "Open with external editor". What Aperture does is create a new master image from the master or version selected and launches it in PS. It creates it as a PSD or TIF based on the settings made in Preferences (I use PSD at 600dpi). When you save the image in PS, the image automatically refreshes in Aperture. But it is regarded as a master for a key definition in Aperture:
    *- A master is an image data file*
    *- A Version is a set of parameters to be applied to an image file*
    Aperture never changes a master image file, whether a camera image, an imported scan or a round-trip PS file .... in the roundtrip, PS changed the master not Aperture and Aperture merely reflected the changes.

Again, I suggest you open Preferences and check the "Create new versions when making adjustments" item in the top panel. It will make it much more obvious of the master and the version(s).

Have fun, and once you have a handle on masters and versions, Aperture really is easy to use .... but training makes a world of difference if you don't have time or inclination to play around.
    15" MBP 2.4GHz 4Gb / Quad 2.5G5 X1900 4.5Gb 2x500Gb, Mac OS X (10.5.1), When my Windows pc grows up, it wants to be a doorstop

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.