Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMacs' combo drive doors are stuck closed

We have ten flat-panel G4 iMacs (700 MHz) at work, and at least five of them cannot open their optical drive doors. When the eject button is pressed, I can hear what I presume to be the motor trying to push the door open, but nothing happens. The first iMac to do this had it's combo drive replaced and now works, two others never stopped working, and I didn't check the remaining two iMacs. On one that is not working, I tried opening the drive using open firmware and by holding the mouse button down while restarting (as other threads have suggested), but I could still only hear the motor trying open the door. Having 6 drive doors all fail at the roughly the same time seems like a software problem rather than a hardware problems. (Everyone does their own updates, but I think all or most are running OS 10.4.11.) Does anyone have an idea about what to try next.

iMac G4/700 MHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 18, 2007 7:22 PM

5 replies

Dec 19, 2007 11:06 AM in response to mjprigge

I'd try installing a fresh copy of 10.4 on an external firewire hard drive. Now boot the iMacs from that fresh copy of OS X. If the issue persists you can assume it's hardware.

If you use a finger nail to lower the white dome optical drive door do the trays open then?

My iMac G4 certainly still works fine since 10.4.11 was installed.

mrtotes

iMacs' combo drive doors are stuck closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.