Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Sharing Illegal?

We've just been sent an email from our IT department telling us all to switch off our 'Sharing' option in iTunes because it is illegal for everyone in the company to share their libraries over the network.

This sounds immensely fishy to me. Is this true? If so, why is it even available in iTunes in the first place?

This is my highly doubtful face. hmmmmmmm

Many thanks in advance!

G5, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 19, 2007 3:40 AM

4 replies

Dec 19, 2007 3:42 AM in response to bruised_blood

For further clarification, here's what we've been told:

'Dear all,

I am afraid, that sharing music via iTunes is illegal and we have to stop doing this in order for the business to remain within the law.

The fact iTunes allows 5 users to connect to a computer sharing music is indeed true, but not legal, we do not have the correct licenses to allow shared music across the business, and we are in direct contravention of copyright law.

As a Ltd business, we are in a position as most business are that we can be audited at any point by various authorities, they would look for shared music and illegal software, we would be fined a large amount of money and due to recent changes in the law to combat music and movie theft we would not have the right to anonymity which would be particularly embarrassing to our clients and position with the market place.

Please can you now turn off sharing on your iTunes as a matter or urgency

The company policy allows you to use iTunes, on your computer, and this is on condition that the music within it has been paid for via iTunes or from hard copy CD'

Dec 19, 2007 4:10 AM in response to bruised_blood

You might want to consult a lawyer about the legality. It sounds as if the company is being very conservative. However, it's kind of irrelevant. The computers and the network belong to the company and they can set whatever standards they want, even if the reasons sound weird. My company, for example, will not allow us to install ANYTHING on company computers. Their playground, their rules...

Dec 19, 2007 4:13 AM in response to bruised_blood

bruised_blood

I'm afraid your IT department are correct, and the reason is that you don't have a Public Performing Licence for the music, and, as you're sharing at work that's public performance. Businesses are obliged to have a Public Performing licence for things like musak, radio, or any form of playing copyright material.

Further, iTunes has this capability because sharing your library with your sister at home is not public performance.

This is pretty much the standard throughout the EU.

Regards

TD

iTunes Sharing Illegal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.