Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD MyBook or My Book unmounting randomly

I work for a Mac Support company in NYC, where we setup/teach/troubleshoot for homes or small businesses all over the city. However, I'm stumped by some recent issues with the WD 1TB My Book drives we've been purchasing for clients. In the past, WD has always been a reliable brand, so I'm wondering if anyone else is having these problems, or if someone thinks it might be Leopard related.

Running Leopard on all machines, recently 2 or 3 of the My Book 1TB drives have started unmounting randomly. But of course since Time Machine is supposed to be a "set it and forget it" solution, the client doesn't notice this until we get there (which is about once every couple weeks), and at that point they may have lost a week or more of backups (not a huge deal, but they're still not getting the full convenience and functionality of Time Machine). The drive, however, seems to be "on", and running, though not mounted (and does not show up in Disk Utility). So, to fix this, we simply turn it off and on again, and it shows up fine. Sometimes we have to do more than that, like disconnect it, turn it off, reconnect it, etc. I've had this happen on different machines, all running Leopard, but all with the WD My Book 1TB drive (though different My Book drives). Most of these drives are connected using Firewire 800, but some are using 400.

Unfortunately, after recommending these drives to numerous clients, I've since had to return 2 of them because 1 of them mounted sporadically and for the most part, not at all, and also was very hard to get to stay powered up, and the other one wouldn't turn on at all (lemon, bad power button). Had I had these problems from the outset, I may have recommended other drives. However, now, I'm hoping against hope that it's just Leopard, and not just horribly made drives! Unfortunately, I don't have a Tiger machine at most of the client homes to test it out on.

HOPEFULLY this is not a problem with the drives, which I have read only good reviews about, but rather is a problem with Leopard, which I assume will be updated in January (10.5.2) with some sort of fix. However, any advice or suggestions others have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 20, 2007 9:22 AM

7 replies

Dec 20, 2007 10:58 AM in response to Ryan Bailer

Would the problem possibly be this sleep issue?
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/popupadp.php?p_faqid=1697&pcreated=1194028789

Answer ID 1697
Question
+ An external hard drive connected via FireWire (1394a/1394b) does not resume operation after a Macintosh computer resumes from sleep or startup.+
*+ Answer+*
*+ Problem:+*
+An external hard drive connected via FireWire 400/800 (1394a/1394b) does not power on or resume operation when connected to a Macintosh computer when the computer resumes from sleep mode or when the computer is started. Cause:+
+This issue is caused by the external hard drive's built in auto on/off functionality not correctly receiving a command from the computer system to wake from a power saver mode. Resolution:+
+To resolve this issue, please follow the directions below:+

+1. Install the Macintosh Button Manager program.+
+ http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&swid=56+

+2. Dismount the drive by dragging the drive icon to the trashcan on the dock before powering off the computer system.+

+USB connectivity of external hard drives on Macintosh computers do not have this issue.+

Dec 20, 2007 11:17 AM in response to Peggy Lynn

Interesting. That could definitely be the problem, though it's fairly odd since Macs have been using Firewire for quite some time without ever having this problem (I've had 6 LaCie HDs connected to my PowerMac for 3 years, never a problem). I wonder if it's just a problem with the newer WD drives. If so, that REALLY is horrible design. There are plenty of people who will want to use the Firewire 400 or 800 ports for their Time Machine HDs so they can keep their limited (on Macs) USB ports free for other devices (printers, iPods, cameras, etc.). The average person doesn't use the Firewire ports for other things (like video capture, etc.). I'll try that to see if it fixes it. If you come across anything else, however, let me know.

I'm also not sure if the WD Button Manager is Leopard compatible (though I'll look into that), which would mean the only option is to use one of the USB slots.

WD MyBook or My Book unmounting randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.