Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shares and Guest Access - unable to see Share without it

I migrated my 10.3.9 Server with 190 accounts to 10.4.2.
All went well, all users were fine. Everything was and still is managed via mobile user accounts.
But when I started with entering new clients on the 10.4.2 server, these new clients failed to access their assigned shares. They simply did not see them.
Strange because the access privileges applied were the same as for the "old" migrated clients.
OS9 clients with the "new" account who tried to access the shares had no problem at all seeing the shares.
The "blind" clients run 10.3.7 or 10.4.2 or 10.4.3...
I found out that I had to add the everyone is allowed to read privilege to the share to give access to the new clients.
I should add that I do not use ACL but the inherit privilege model as it always had been used on our shares.
So today i created a demo Share gave access to groups but not to everyone.
The result is the same as mentioned above. With this test I wanted to clarify if there was something wrong with the old shares, but behavior is the same with new shares.
What am I doing wrong? It can't be, that 10.4.2 needs read access for everyone for shares to make them visible.
regards

Oliver

Posted on Nov 7, 2005 2:07 AM

3 replies

Nov 7, 2005 2:36 AM in response to Oliver Kess

10.4.2 needs read access for everyone for shares to make them visible.

No, you don't have to enable read access for the POSIX everyone field. However, if you're mounting the share points to static mount points, you do need at least read access for the POSIX everyone field. Static automounts that appear in the Network globe (/private/var/automount/Network) are mounted by guest or securityagent.

--Gerrit

Nov 7, 2005 2:48 AM in response to Gerrit DeWitt

Gerrit,
you are by far the most experienced expert I've met in this forum. Thank you very much for your good input!
Is this behavior something that is new to 10.4.2? I have not experienced this in 10.3.9 server and again I have to say that this only appears to be a problem for clients that are created under the 10.4.2 version of the server.
regards

Oliver

Nov 7, 2005 2:47 PM in response to Oliver Kess

Thank you for the compliment! I'm glad that my post has helped you.

With static automounts, the only thing that's new to the 10.4 family, as far as I can tell, is that some of them are mounted by the securityagent user instead of guest. In my experience, this was only pertinent to a shared Library (/Network/Library).

Otherwise, with 10.3 and 10.4 server, any automounts need to have at least guest access to read.

--Gerrit

Shares and Guest Access - unable to see Share without it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.