Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Norton Antivirus 11.0 for Mac

Scheduled scan using Norton Antivirus 11.0 for Leopard crashes after exactly one minute after it starts. Norton's log says: " Virus 'Did not have permission to scan.'" (Everything on my Intel iMac and Norton is up to date.) The Mac's log file says this:

12/26/07 6:12:30 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.symantec.Sched502-12.plist[225]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 226 PPID 1 scheduledScanner

Norton's support is of no help. They said to exclude compressed files. Same result. Manual scan, by the way, works perfectly, even when including the compressed files. Any ideas (other than the fact that I probably shouldn't be using Norton)??

Jerry Kirkpatrick

Intel iMac and iBook G4 1Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 26, 2007 8:15 AM

12 replies

Dec 28, 2007 12:14 PM in response to Jerry Kirkpatrick

The same thing occurs on my iMac G5 PPC 1.8 GHz. I certainly feel that Symantec has taken me, and probably millions of others, to the cleaners over the years. I would be interested to hear from ANYONE who has benefited from Norton's "support" at any time in history.

Why do I keep paying for Norton AV for Mac? <Edited by Moderator>

Just click your heels together three times and see if you can wake up.

Dec 28, 2007 1:08 PM in response to Jerry Kirkpatrick

Bottom Line: You don't need virus protection on a Mac.

I have come from the PC world and have dealt with Symantec's products. Norton Antivirus is a virus in and of itself. In the PC world if you try to remove those products, they leave traces of themselves all over the place and the only way to clean up is to remove all traces from the Windows registry. Symantec's products are junk. I always say "Norton Antivirus is a virus in and of itself."

Please don't waste your money. If you can, return the product to wherever you bought it and never think about it again. Macs simply don't need Antivirus software no matter what the so called "security experts" tell you. Security experts that says we need these products for Macs are simply voices for the sellers of these products and, therefore, will tell us anything to get us to buy them.

Dec 29, 2007 6:46 AM in response to KensethFan

"Bottom Line: You don't need virus protection on a Mac."

Well . . . sooner or later, the hackers will discover the Mac. I'm trying to buy peace of mind, though Norton doesn't seem to be the solution. Norton's now telling me to run the scan in Terminal, which I'm currently doing and it seems to be working. But it also works in manual scan, so I don't see the point in using Terminal. I prefer something painless that quietly works in the background. Perhaps McAfee?

By the way, Douglas, the same thing happens on my iBook G4 laptop. Norton has a real winner here!!

Jan 10, 2008 5:00 PM in response to Jerry Kirkpatrick

Well, I actually don't know if it is just rumors, but I've read-and heard- about viruses affecting iPhones. One of the things I was in love with when I bought my iMac was the lack viruses hanging around in the MacOS world, but I am certainly unsure how much repercussion will the -uhm, let's call it "massivisation" of Apple produced software will have on viruses on MacOS.

But just for now, I wouldn't use Norton in a Mac.
(mhh... I wouldn't even use it on a Windows-based PC...) But especially not on a Mac. : )
I know I'm not answering your question, I was just wondering.

Az

Feb 2, 2008 7:14 PM in response to KensethFan

I bought NAV 11.0 and it is running fine. Although Mac OS X does not have viruses I connect to my company's network all the time. I use NAV so that my files passing thru my machine are not carriers of viruses to the PC world.

Another thought.. What would happen if I installed XP on my Mac. If I brought a virus thru the Mac OS X side, is it possible it could show up on my PC partition?

Feb 3, 2008 12:12 AM in response to Jerry Kirkpatrick

Nobody who is knowledgeable about PC's would recommend Norton or Mcaffee.
I was forced to install Norton on my Mac by an ignorant windows user who owns the network I connect to. I immediately began to experience the only crashes I ever have had with the Mac.

Only solution I could find was ditch it. Cleared the problem right up.
ClamX AV works nicely if you absolutely need the security blankie of AV software.

Norton Antivirus 11.0 for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.