Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes store can't connect. Network connection timed out.

"iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The network connection timed out.
'Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again'"

Well, last I checked I can get on the internet, play games online, chat, do everything. There are two other computers in the room on the same router that can connect to the iTunes store. I've tried all of the solutions from support, but to no avail. I know I'm not the only one with this problem so if you've solved it anything would help.

Dell Dimension E520, Windows XP, Service Pack 2

Posted on Dec 26, 2007 9:04 AM

139 replies

Dec 27, 2007 12:31 PM in response to sgrigsby

I have the same problem. The only firewall which I use is the wondoes firewall

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
System manufacturer System Product Name
iTunes 7.5.0.20
CD-Treiber 2.0.6.1
CD-Treiber-DLL 2.0.6.2

Current user is an administrator.
Current date and time are 2007-12-27 21:25:50.

Info on the screen:

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

** Network connectivity tests **

About Network Adapter

Adapter Name: (02E5BAB0-654B-4891-A2D6-D1EB7766ECA4)
Description: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
IP address: 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP enabled: Yes
DHCP server 192.168.0.1
Lease receive: Thu Dec 27 2007

Lease ends: Tue Jan 19 2038

DNS Server: 83,169,185,161

Active: LAN connection
Connected: Yes
With the Internet: Yes
Modem in use: No.
LAN in use: Yes
Proxy in use: No.

About Firewall

Windows firewall is activated.
ITunes is in Windows firewall enabled.

Connection with the Apple Web site has been successful.
Connection with the iTunes store had failed.
The network connection has been rejected.
Secure connection with the iTunes store had failed.
The network connection has been rejected.
The establishment of a secure connection to the iPhone activation server was successful.

I'm german so this is a translation with google, because I don't have time now, sorry

Dec 27, 2007 11:02 PM in response to sgrigsby

I made the mistake of upgrading to itunes 7.5 becuase I could not download a song I wanted to purchase. I had access to the itunes store and everything until I did the upgrade. Since that time, I have been getting the same message a lot of you othesr seem to be getting... that my network connection has timed out and I need to check my network settings. Obviously I am able to get in to the internet... has anyone received any kind of assistance from the itunes people??

Dec 28, 2007 9:27 AM in response to sgrigsby

Same problem here and although I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with this problem I'd be happier if there was a solution. Several weeks ago I even submitted an iTunes support request online and although I never got any response (other than the automated reply saying they got my request) I did--shortly thereafter--get an online survey asking about my email support experience. Unfortunately even after negative survey comments I still got no help. Come on Apple/iTunes! Get someone working on this!

Dec 31, 2007 2:53 PM in response to sgrigsby

I had this same problem and it drove me crazy for days. the 1st thing to check is your firewall: make sure it allows for anything iTunes. That's pretty easy. I also found that you cannot connect to the iTunes store or get track names from Gracenote CDDB if you are running Hide IP, so if you have it, make sure it's turned off.

That's all I got for you. Hope you figure it out.

Jan 1, 2008 1:28 AM in response to brad001

hi peoples - further to the post i just made ⚠ I've fixed the problem. Hope this helps: when I logged in as the Administrator the iTunes store loaded fine. But when I wasn't logged in as Administrator it would not connect. Firstly, I updated with iTunes 7.5. This didn't help so I logged in as admin, then SWITCHED USER to my regular log in. (without logging out of admin). All of a sudden, iTunes opened the iTunes Store as normal. It must have used the correct network connections that the admin log in was using. I then logged out of both Windows Vista user accounts, and restarted to check it wasn't a fluke. Sure enoguh, no matter which Vista User I now log in as, it loads the iTunes store every time. Good luck!

Jan 1, 2008 9:08 PM in response to sgrigsby

I'm having the same problem - its been about a week and after no luck with support i've been sent here too. itunes store won't connect me - it knows i can connect to the net - it lets me search for music.. it even knows when i put my login information in wrong. just no connection. i think it was after i upgraded to 7.5 too that it started not working. can't buy music.. have like a $40 credit in the store. i'm so sad. i've got my windows firewall turned off (it allows iTunes anyway) and i use kaspersky for anti virus... thats all good for allowing itunes too. i'm just not sure what to do at this point =( any feedback?

Jan 1, 2008 10:46 PM in response to brad001

Hi, I just tried all of the things suggested in the various discussion posts and am still unable to connect to the itunes store. This so frustrating!!! I have the Vista Ultimate operating system. I never had trouble with the itunes store until apple came out with the iphone and upgraded the program to 7.5. Could there be an issue there? or maybe with Vista? If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Happy New Year!

iTunes store can't connect. Network connection timed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.