Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD twice in the sidebar

Since I have installed Leopard, I can see my only Macintosh HD twice in the sidebar of each window sometimes. When I click on the second one and then mark some content, the first Macintosh HD gets marked. What to do here?
Thanks for Feedback
Bernd

MacBook Pro 17 2,33GHZ, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 3 GB RAM, 30 ACD

Posted on Dec 26, 2007 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2007 10:26 AM

Just click and hold on one of the HD icons and drag it to the desktop and let go...

It will poof......... gone........
13 replies

Dec 26, 2007 11:10 AM in response to Joseph Kriz

If you do this & select the wrong (real) volume from the "DEVICES" list, it will sometimes disappear from the sidebar. If this happens, open Finder preferences to the sidebar tab & check the appropriate 'disks' checkbox (Hard Disks or External Disks) to get it back onto the sidebar.

The checkbox should at first display a "-" (the minus sign) instead of the expected "✓" (the check-mark) if this happens. Clicking on the checkbox should restore the "✓" -- if it instead clears the checkbox, click again & the "✓" should appear.

Dec 28, 2007 10:22 AM in response to Bikul

OK. First I thought I must have been stupid, when given the advice to just -poof- drag the Macintosh HD out of the sidebar. For one day that was ok. But today again there is the Macintosh HD twice in the sidebar as well as in the app-menue, where someone can open/save data. What to do, Every day - poof ?
Thanks for Help
Bernd

Feb 9, 2008 7:03 PM in response to Kevin Horn

1. Deep cleaning of all caches with Leopard Cache Cleaner 4.0.4 and re-starting does not fix the problem with OS 10.5.1 on my PowerPC (Dual G5 2.0).
2. Disk Utility's two repair options do not help, nor does TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior.

What's puzzling is that if I log out and into my test account and then log back into my normal account, the ghost hard drive volumes are no longer there. But if I re-start the Mac, they're back.

Macintosh HD twice in the sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.