Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Macintosh HD twice in the sidebar

1455 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2008 10:32 PM by Hersco RSS
Bikul Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 26, 2007 10:18 AM
Since I have installed Leopard, I can see my only Macintosh HD twice in the sidebar of each window sometimes. When I click on the second one and then mark some content, the first Macintosh HD gets marked. What to do here?
Thanks for Feedback
Bernd
MacBook Pro 17 2,33GHZ, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 3 GB RAM, 30 ACD
  • Joseph Kriz Level 5 Level 5 (5,045 points)
    Dec 26, 2007 10:26 AM (in response to Bikul)
    Just click and hold on one of the HD icons and drag it to the desktop and let go...

It will poof......... gone........
    iMac 20 (Core 2 Duo), MacBook (Core 2 Duo), Mac Mini (Core Solo), Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (13,825 points)
    Dec 26, 2007 11:10 AM (in response to Joseph Kriz)
    If you do this & select the wrong (real) volume from the "DEVICES" list, it will sometimes disappear from the sidebar. If this happens, open Finder preferences to the sidebar tab & check the appropriate 'disks' checkbox (Hard Disks or External Disks) to get it back onto the sidebar.

The checkbox should at first display a "-" (the minus sign) instead of the expected "✓" (the check-mark) if this happens. Clicking on the checkbox should restore the "✓" -- if it instead clears the checkbox, click again & the "✓" should appear.
    iMac G5/2.0 GHz 17" ALS (Rev B), Mac OS X (10.5.1), 1.5 GB, Kensington Trackball
  • aroolish Calculating status...
    Jan 7, 2008 3:17 AM (in response to Bikul)
    same thing happens here. it's always after i've connected my external hd (firewire) and then ejected it. the drive is partitioned so it shows up as two drives, when i eject all, usually i end up with two 'macintosh hd' in the finder sidebar.
    mbp, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • Hersco Level 2 Level 2 (260 points)
    Jan 10, 2008 11:07 PM (in response to Bikul)
    I see this problem when I unmount an internal disk as well. Seems to be a Finder bug.
    Mac Pro 3.0, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 4GB RAM
  • Kevin Horn Level 4 Level 4 (1,825 points)
    Jan 10, 2008 11:26 PM (in response to Bikul)
    Usually this is caused by a corrupted Launch Services database. To rebuild it download a utility such as Cocktail, Leopard Cache Cleaner or Onyx, run that function then restart the computer.
    iMac 2.16 Core 2 Cuo, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 3 GB ram
  • R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (13,825 points)
    Jan 11, 2008 4:23 AM (in response to Kevin Horn)
    Been there, done that -- it does not help.
    iMac G5/2.0 GHz 17" ALS (Rev B), Mac OS X (10.5.1), 1.5 GB, Kensington Trackball
  • aroolish Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Feb 1, 2008 5:33 AM (in response to Bikul)
    i hope this is fixed in 10.5.2
    mbp, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • Norman Nager Calculating status...
    Feb 9, 2008 7:03 PM (in response to Kevin Horn)
    1. Deep cleaning of all caches with Leopard Cache Cleaner 4.0.4 and re-starting does not fix the problem with OS 10.5.1 on my PowerPC (Dual G5 2.0).
    2. Disk Utility's two repair options do not help, nor does TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior.

What's puzzling is that if I log out and into my test account and then log back into my normal account, the ghost hard drive volumes are no longer there. But if I re-start the Mac, they're back.
    G5 (Early 2005) Dual 2.0 GHz G4: 733-MHz QuickSilver (2001), Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • Hersco Level 2 Level 2 (260 points)
    Feb 11, 2008 10:32 PM (in response to Bikul)
    Does anyone know whether 10.5.2 fixes this problem?
    Mac Pro 3.0, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 4GB RAM

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.