2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2007 8:05 AM by RaySkater
RaySkater Level 3 Level 3 (735 points)
I have a Powerbook running on Panther which lately is showing me un-asked-for Logout dialogues. "Are you sure you want to quit all apps and Log out?" << that one..

then, if I do nothing, log out will happen in 120 seconds or some such.

If I have mail.app running, this seems to at least prevent the logging out from actually occuring, but what is causing the computer to think I want to log out in the first place?

One suggestion has been a cat looking to get warm, but I've gotten this log out dialogue with the cat nowhere near the computer...so.. Gremlins?

I'm hoping it's a corrupt something or other that I can trash prefs or re-install something to get rid of this issue.

thanks for any ideas!

r

(this mac is a 400 mhz G3 "pismo" on 10.3.9)

1.5Ghz Mini 1GB RAM, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Sascha Jazbec Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Have a look in System preferences under "security".

_In Panther and Tiger there is an item that can be checkmarked "log out after xx minutes of inactivity"_.See if there is something set.

Another item would be the energy-saving options, where a time can be set after which the Mac will power down ( and maybe log out all current users before ) or go to sleep.

*Additionally you might try* an app called "Cocktail" ( +Panther Edition+ is Freeware ) http://www.maintain.se/downloads/panther.html , it it a mainteance and troubleshooting utility, which can check for troublesome caches,preferences and logfiles.

It is useful to keep a mac running "clean" or to fine tune certain settings and it is not as risky as one might think.

*Either way, I think your problem is related to some timers set in System Preferences.*

Best wishes
  • RaySkater Level 3 Level 3 (735 points)
    thank you!

you were right; I had misunderstood (and checked) "logoff after _ minutes of inactivity.

also grabbed the panther version of cocktail.

thanks for answering my post!

r