Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I phone vs Palm Treo

I currently have a Palm Treo 650 is an upgrade to the I Phone worth the investment? Is it better to purchase an I Phone from an Apple story or ATT store. I already have an ATT account.

Macbook and Emac, Mac OS X (10.5), none

Posted on Dec 27, 2007 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2007 9:17 AM

al grafton wrote:
I currently have a Palm Treo 650 is an upgrade to the I Phone worth the investment?

I upgraded from the Treo 650 myself and am happy I did. The internet is a vast improvement and I never had the need to sync notes or to dos.
Is it better to purchase an I Phone from an Apple story or ATT store. I already have an ATT account.

It makes no difference either way. Both stores only sell you the iPhone - you have to activate on your home computer. The product is the same at either store. That being said if you want to get accessores as well I would go to an Apple store as their selection is better.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2007 9:17 AM in response to al grafton

al grafton wrote:
I currently have a Palm Treo 650 is an upgrade to the I Phone worth the investment?

I upgraded from the Treo 650 myself and am happy I did. The internet is a vast improvement and I never had the need to sync notes or to dos.
Is it better to purchase an I Phone from an Apple story or ATT store. I already have an ATT account.

It makes no difference either way. Both stores only sell you the iPhone - you have to activate on your home computer. The product is the same at either store. That being said if you want to get accessores as well I would go to an Apple store as their selection is better.

Dec 27, 2007 9:22 AM in response to al grafton

I also had a treo 650 just prior to my iphone the iphone stomps all over treo.. you do give up the ability to instal your own apps with the iphone (at least until feb).

the deciding factor in going to apple store vs att store is which is closer? it makes no difference where you buy either place you walk in and say iphone and they hand you a box.. since you are existing customer the activation is an easy 5 min process, just make sure you have xp sp 2, vista, or mac os 10.4.. the latest iTunes and an iTunes account.. then all you just need to pick a data plan of $20, $30, or $40 that will be added onto your existing account and replace any existing data feature you had with the treo.. then agree to a new 2 yr contract and "bam" you will never know how you managed to use the treo in the first place!

Dec 27, 2007 10:00 AM in response to al grafton

What do you do with your Treo 650?

There are things that the iPhone cannot do but if you do not utilize them, it should make no difference, i.e., the only decision is why do you want to change and is the $ investment worth it.

If you search your contact list, cut and paste, beam your contacts, delete your call log based on a call-by-call basis, and certain email functions and need those capabilities, the iPhone is not for you unless you want to look 'cool'. Believe me it is not good to look 'cool' and feel 'frustrated' at the same time.

Good luck in your choice.

Dec 27, 2007 12:55 PM in response to al grafton

I upgraded from a Treo 600. As a phone the iPhone is vastly superior, however, it is not a full PDA. I had 60 added applications on my Treo, and most of the functions of them are not available on the iPhone or available WebApps for the iPhone. I solved the problem by getting a Palm T|X to run the applications that are not supported on the iPhone. None of them required continuous communications, and the ones that require communications at all I can connect to a WiFi access point.

I phone vs Palm Treo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.