Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Error # 1418

Nano registered and synched. My 3rd generation nano will not register; this is the message I have been getting for 2 days: "itunes cannot read the contents of the ipod "ipod". Go tothe summary tab in ipod preferences and click restore to restore this ipod to factory settings." I am also recieving the error message"# 1418, The ipod could not be restored. An unknown error occured."

I have repeated the 5Rs over and over. Who can I call for assistance?

Dell, Windows XP

Posted on Dec 27, 2007 12:12 PM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2007 6:31 PM in response to SRAYM

Here is your fix. I posted a gazillion times and gave up and called. Here is solution(s)and it works has something to do with directories. Do 5Rs first then:
*error msg*:
"The iPod "Customer's iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1418)"

Symptom
When trying to sync iPod, change iPod settings, or restore iPod from within iTunes you may see one of the following error messages:
"The iPod "Customer's iPod" cannot be updated. An unknown error occurred (-50)"
"The disk could not be read from or written to"
"The iPod "Customer's iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1418)"

*_Products affected_*
iPod (all models)
iTunes 7.x (Windows XP)
Solution 1
This symptom may be caused by an issue with the digital signing of Windows XP drivers. Following the steps below to reregister several .dll files mentioned below may resolve this issue. Before proceeding however, try to restore the iPod using the latest version of iTunes..
*If you are unable to restore it or the symptom reappears, then follow the steps below:*
Disconnect the iPod from the computer and close iTunes.
Highlight all of the following 10 lines of text that begin with regsvr32 and then choose Copy from the Edit menu of your web browser:
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll

*Open the Notepad program by navigating to*:
Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad
*In Notepad, choose Paste from the Edit menu.* Note: make sure that the text that appears in Notepad is the same as what is shown above.
*From the File menu, choose Save As*.
*In the File name: field type appleipod.bat and save the file to the Desktop*.
Close Notepad and locate the appleipod.bat file. It should appear on the Desktop with the icon shown below:

*Double-click the file* and you will see a black window appear on the screen for about a minute. Wait until the window automatically disappears and proceed to the next step.
The appleipod.bat file can be deleted at this time.
*Open iTunes and connect the iPod*.
*When the iPod appears in iTunes, restore the iPod and resync your content.*
Note: Because some malware may unregister the .dll files, make sure you have the most recent updates to your anti-virus software and then do a full scan of your files.

* Solution 2*
This symptom may also be caused by software applications which change the appearance of Windows XP. Try deleting or removing any third-party Windows OS skins, Windows themes, or desktop mods that are installed to resolve the iTunes Error -50 issue when syncing your iPod to Windows XP.
Related document
304820: "iTunes displays (-50) error when using iPod shuffle (Second Generation) with Windows 2000"
304508: "Error 1415, 1417, 1418, or 1428: Cannot restore or update iPod in iTunes 7 or later"
Important: Mention of third-party websites and products is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance or use of information or products found at third-party websites. Apple provides this only as a convenience to our users. Apple has not tested the information found on these sites and makes no representations regarding its accuracy or reliability. There are risks inherent in the use of any information or products found on the Internet, and Apple assumes no responsibility in this regard. Please understand that a third-party site is independent from Apple and that Apple has no control over the content on that website. Please contact the vendor for additional information.
Thank you,
Apple

Unknown Error # 1418

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.