Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jagged title question (again!)

I've been reading thread after thread about people having problems with jagged edges in their titles, but I can't seem to find information that's specific to my situation:

I'm working on a DVCPROHD 720p native project. The FCP generated titles look fantastic on the timeline, but when I export to a QT (using the same HD codec) they look awful. (Not something you'd ever want to use in a pro situation.) The image itself is excellent, thankfully!

I've burned the same QT using DVD Studio Pro to a DVD and watched it on a NTSC TV and the results are identical. Jagged, low-res titles, great image.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
David

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11), FCP 5.1.4

Posted on Dec 27, 2007 6:24 PM

3 replies

Dec 27, 2007 6:35 PM in response to frmrt

But when I export to a QT (using the same HD codec) they look awful.

Have you enabled HIGH QUALITY PLAYBACK?

Shane's Stock Answer #22: Enable High Quality Playback in Quicktime

If you want your footage to playback at full quality, then you need to enable High Quality playback.

Open the file, hit APPLE-J. Click on VIDEO TRACK and then click on the VISUAL SETTINGS button. Check the box next to HIGH QUALITY on the lower right hand side and close the window. Type Apple-S to save the movie.

Without that, the computer is playing back a low res proxie.

I have never had issues of jaggieness with my titles in DVCPRO HD. Sharp as a knife.

I've burned the same QT using DVD Studio Pro to a DVD and watched it on a NTSC TV and the results are identical. Jagged, low-res titles, great image

How did you encode? Unless you did a High Quality Encode with Compressor, they won't look their best. And do know, that you are taking an HD source, compressing it to an SD MPEG-2 format that you are putting on a DVD. Titles won't be VERY sharp, but won't be jaggie...if done right. I have done this lots with great results.

Shane

User uploaded file

Dec 27, 2007 6:51 PM in response to Shane Ross

Shane, thanks for your quick reply and expertise. (I'd actually read a number of your posts before asking my question, so I did try a few things you suggested. High Quality Playback is enabled in QuickTime, so that doesn't appear to be the problem.)

As far the DVD goes, I understand: taking a 24 frame progressive HD source and compressing it to an MPEG-2 SD NTSC DVD requires significant compromises in quality. But I've been using the FCP "Export Quicktime Movie" function (Current Settings) with some very decent results, and then importing that asset into DVD Studio and burning a disc. Even with the downconversion and the MPEG-2 compression, the image is good. The titles, however, are just as bad as they are on the QT on my display.

Given these things, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again,
David

Jagged title question (again!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.