Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express as Ethernet Bridge ?

Hi - I have just purchased and setup my first airport express and was wondering if this device can be configured as an ethernet bridge. I would like to extend my 'wired' ethernet network and thought the ethernet port on the airport express may be able to be used for this task.
Steve

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 29, 2007 7:01 AM

16 replies

Dec 29, 2007 7:09 AM in response to stevosoft1

It depends on what device is creating your wireless network. If it is an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) or another AirPort Express (AX), the answer is yes. You would simply need to configure the two devices to connect wirelessly using WDS. The AX's Ethernet port is ONLY active when it uses WDS to wirelessly connect to a network.

If your base station is any other device, this probably won't work since only a very, very, very few 3rd party devices are compatible with Apple's WDS.

Dec 31, 2007 5:59 PM in response to Duane

My Netgear DG834GT (DSL Modem Router) looks as if it hooks up to the Airport Express. In WDS mode. Mind you I had to fiddle with the settings in the admin panel on the Netgear side to sync the two together, green light came on however I could not get my MacBook Pro to connect via ethernet to the Airport Express box to share the wireless connection (I know I can connect wireless direct to the Netgear, but this is all a test). I can't for the life of me get a successful internet connection going between computer --> via ethernet to Airport Express --> then via wifi to Netgear AP --> Finally te Internet. Spent whole evening trying different configs and trawling forums. Half say it's possible via WDS half say it's a non-go'er without a proper base station. Only reason I bought the Express was to act as a bridge between a non-wifi computer and the internet (without trailing a long RJ45 across the studio). Any ideas anyone? Thanks. R.

Jan 1, 2008 4:27 AM in response to Terra Incognita

Terra Incognita wrote:
Basically i'm trying to use the AX as a bridge to an ethernet device.. I don't really care about internet on the thing I just need to connect wirelessly to the ethernet device.. Is this possible?

Without purchasing another Airport base station you aren't going to be able to do it, and I would recommend rather than buying another AX buy a dedicated ethernet wireless bridge to avoid the bandwidth hit you take when using WDS.

Jan 3, 2008 9:15 PM in response to iFelix

Please let me confirm that - its exactly about the issue I have.

I quite confused by the airport documentation. It talks about internet access all the time. But I did find little on configuring the AE for Ethernet bridging and not example setup. I read to unselect IP distribution puts it in bridge mode. Seems it wasn't enough..

Here's what I would like to do.
There should be 3 computers: Win1 (a windows XP machine), Mac1 (a mac mini) and Win2(a second XP).
- Win1 and Mac 1have ethernet cables to a Hub.
- Win2 has an ethernet cable to an Airport Express.
The goal is, that Win1 can see the smb network shares of Win2. The network runs fine, if all devices are connected to the hub.

I tried different configurations with the Preferences/Network/Airport/Ethernet page settings for the mac mini. The AE was configured with AirportAdmin tool. It said the device is in brige mode.
I could change the Ethernet settings - which doesn't make sense to me for I am not interested in setting up internet access - an observed that the admin tool displayed the AE with that IP address. I could even ping it.
I could not set WDS. When I tried to enter the MAC Address of the airport on the mac mini, it said it is not available. I am not sure where to confim the WDS setting on the mac mini side.?
However, at one time, I got a ping to the Win2 machine from Mac1. No smb share, though.

You are writing in your answer, the connection AE to Mac as bridge does not work. Can you please explain why? I do not understand the difference between using the remote speaker functionality (worked fine) or WWW routing and Ethernet bridging. What do 2 AE's different than 1 AE and an airport equipped mac?

Thanks
Hans

Jan 4, 2008 6:11 AM in response to Isthereanyfreealiasleft?

Isthereanyfreealiasleft?, Welcome to the discussion area!

It is unclear from your description what is creating the wireless network.

Here are some facts for your consideration:
  • The Mac mini can not use WDS to join a wireless network and has no need to.
  • OS X's Internet Sharing is NOT compatible with WDS therefore the Mac mini can not create WDS capable wireless network.
  • The Ethernet port on the AirPort Express (AX) is active ONLY when the AX uses WDS to connect wirelessly to a network.
  • Other than Apple's AX and AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS) there are very, very, very few devies which are compatible with Apple's WDS.

Jan 4, 2008 10:11 AM in response to Duane

Thanks for your information. I did not know that the Ethernet port is not active unless WDS is configured.

The wireless part should be between the Mac mini and the AX. This should be the structure:

Win1 --- <wire>----Hub---<wire>---Mac1-o -<wireless> o-AX---<wire>---Win2

Note: none of the devices should be connected to the internet.

I do not see the point why Mac mini has no need to use WDS when this is required to active the Ethernet port? If this is the only way to access the Ethernet port of the AX this would be essential!

Maybe for discussion we should sinplify the case. This structure is described in the manuals in detail:
Mac1-o -<wireless> o-AX---<wire>---DSL modem

This is what I am looking for:
Mac1-o -<wireless> o-AX---<wire>---Win2

Hope that clarifies it a bit. I wouldn't this that is so different..

Jan 4, 2008 4:32 PM in response to Duane

Duane wrote:
As I said above, that will not work since OS X's Internet sharing is not compatible with WDS.

Hm. If I understand you correct, that means this will not work with any new Mac as OS X is blocking that.
I there any way to achieve that brigde from a Mac to another computer using AX? Do I need another AX?

What is the proper way to use the Ehthernet bridge feature of the AX?

Airport Express as Ethernet Bridge ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.