Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SCSI-to-FireWire adapter

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried (and/or had any success) with a SCSI-to-Firewire converter for use with a flatbed/film scanner?

My mother-in-law just upgraded from a PowerMac G4 to a Mac Pro and I would love to be able to keep her on just one computer. But, since her old SCSI card (an Adaptec 2906 PCI) isn't compatible with her Mac Pro (PCI Express slots only), I was looking at the SCSI-to-Firewire adapters as a possible solution.

She has an Agfa DuoScan T1200 and a Polaroid PrintScan 35 Plus.

Appreciate any input.

20" iMac G5, 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 29, 2007 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2007 10:52 AM

This should work:
http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/subpages/firerex1.html

Of course there are some USB/FW scanners that do quite a bit.
Make sure VueScan or something will also work with this.
It might be easier or better to just upgrade to new scanner?
Or are those 'hard to beat' in what they do?
4 replies

Dec 29, 2007 11:02 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter,

Thanks. I just stumbled across that adapter myself. Looks like it could be a good solution. Not sure about the "hard to beat" factor with the scanners. My mother-in-law likes them, she's used to them, and is, generally, averse to spending money to buy expensive new hardware unless it's absolutely needed.

Looks like the Ratoc will work with both scanners using Vuescan....

Got more research to do! 🙂

Mar 7, 2008 7:41 PM in response to John and Peter

I am very familiar with the Ratoc SCSI adapter p/n FR1SX. While this is a very good device it is expensive and requires a special cable and/or an additional cable adapter and a power supply in the form of a brick on the wall, before connecting to a SCSI device. i.e hard drive, scanner, printer, etc...

In my opinion your better off purchasing a new scannner and print scan. The new devices have many new features that older devices do not.

SCSI-to-FireWire adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.