Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Login to YouTube

bought a new Apple TV did a full reset, than ran the update, it is connected to my network via ethernet, everything works fine except I cannot log into youtube it is a new account and can login from my computer on the webpage fine, I have reset my password and still cannot login from the Apple TV, I have read the forums and it seems this is a common problem, I have tried everything and still cannot login, any suggestions?

Mac Mini Power PC, Mac OS X (10.5.1), iPhone 8GB, Apple TV 40GB

Posted on Dec 30, 2007 2:19 PM

14 replies

Jan 13, 2008 6:48 AM in response to David803sc

I called support and they had no suggestions other than creating a new apple account, I told them I was going to exchange my AppleTV for a new one at the store and try that first, they said good idea, after the exchange it still didn't work so I created a new account on youtube and it finally worked, my guess is accounts created before the Apple TV youtube feature for some reason are missing something that allows them to connect through Apple TV, new account's when created get the token or whatever it is that allows the access, this is just my guess and would mean youtube needs to go back and update all their old accounts.

David

Jan 29, 2008 7:44 PM in response to David803sc

I have had the same problem with two AppleTV. Today I finally got around to calling Apple Care. The short answer: no joy.

Tier 1, 50 minutes. Entered login and password a few times. Rebooted (unplugged). Then at his suggestion turned off DSL modem, wireless router, and unplugged Apple TV. Waited 5 minutes. Nothing. Did a Reset Settings. No change. Did a Factory Reset. No change. Created a new YouTube account. No change.

Tier 2, 15 minutes. Described problem again. He said he'd try it on one in his lab. Said he had the same issue with his login. Conclusion: It's a YouTube problem. Call Google. Maybe software version 2.0 will solve it, maybe not.

End of call.

Feb 2, 2008 6:26 PM in response to Winston Churchill

My login worked just fine for months (just a straight Youtube login) then 1 day, out of the blue, I tried to show a friend vids from my 'Favourites' & I was prompted to login. This was even though it was showing my user name as
logged in already. Although I thought this was odd, I duly responded to the prompt to provide my password (a simple all numerical one, btw), but it wouldn't accept the password, & never has since! I have no problem logging into my Youtube a/c on any computer, just on the ATV.

I too rang Apple (that is after all why I purchased the extended warranty!), but after requesting to speak to someone who actually knew what ATV was - incredibly the 1st technician I spoke to had no idea as to what ATV did! - the end result was acknowledgement that a lot of people were experiencing the same problem, but nobody had any idea how to solve it, nor was there any estimated timeframe in which that might happen. The only suggestion forthcoming was to just 'keep trying from time to time', in the hope that it might magically right itself. Not very good bang for the bucks I spent on that extra warranty - inadequate to say the least!

Feb 10, 2008 3:38 PM in response to David803sc

Add me to the list of people with YouTube issues (this also includes a friend of mine, and my brother-in-law) The three of us use to have no problems with YouTube on the AppleTV, and now, all three of us are. And we have three different ISPs.

We've all tried restoring to factory condition, and all of the other troubleshooting steps. I can only conclude this is a server-side issue (especially since even Apple techs are experiencing this.)

For those who have it working - what is your exact setup? Maybe this is the question we should be asking... Who is your ISP? What kind of security settings are you using? What kind of router are you using? Perhaps your router is sitting at a 38 degree angle and your AppleTV is 5 1/8 inches to the left of your TV, and that's why it works?

And does the warranty not cover AppleTV's YouTube feature because it's Google's fault? Is this the same boat that Windows users are in when Microsoft blames your computer manufacturer and your computer manufacturer blames Microsoft? I hope this isn't the case.

Cannot Login to YouTube

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.