Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up data on external desktop

Does anyone have experience with backing up data from your Powerbook G4 to the Western Digital My Book? I just bought it because my computer constantly has problems and is being shipped off this week and I need to back up my photos and mail and pages, etc.

g4, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 30, 2007 6:31 PM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2007 7:56 PM in response to Community User

I have done a tremendous amount of backing up on Macs in the past. It is very easy to do. There are several ways to accomplish it. If you would like to make a mirror image of your computer before sending it off, use Carbon Copy Cloner (Free) or Drive Genius (costs money but worth it for its speed and other functions). If you just need or wish to copy specific files, Just connect the WD drive, ensure it is formatted appropriately, and copy the files over.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

David FInell

Dec 30, 2007 9:51 PM in response to Community User

Hook up the drive to your computer using either the Firewire or the USB ports. If it's the first time using the drive then you will want to format it to HFS+ using Disk Utility. You can use a utility like Super Duper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything from your internal drive to the external. use these utiltiies if you want to do a complete backup of your computer, including applications, system, etc. If you just want data files then you can drag items from one hard disk to the other to copy them.

Backing up data on external desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.