Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4 client unable to login 10.4 OD Server

I have a new site with a new server and new clients.

I have tried to setup Directory Access on the client but when I attempt to login I just get the "wiggling" login screen. I know the client sees the server because I can login to the client as local admin then I can navigate (GO menu) to the server and even login as the user (seeing the shares I should see)

I've tried every LDAP setting from automatic to manual under Directory Access. I've used the name and IP but neither works.

Thoughts?

Posted on Jul 12, 2005 9:30 AM

12 replies

Aug 6, 2005 8:29 PM in response to Brent Decracker

next thing to try is logging in from local account then use the su (switch User) command to change to the network user.

i.e. login as local (assuming bar is the network user), open terminal and type
su bar
and enter the password for bar when prompted.
if that works, then there may be a problem with the settings in the user record for bar. If it doesn't work, then there may be a problem with bar's password.

HTH
- Leland

Aug 19, 2005 4:04 PM in response to Theresa Mccreadie

Theresa, I have exactly the same problem as you had. Did you figure it out yet, if you do, please share us the tips.. Our school lab has 300 students. I got all the accounts setup but when I login i just get wiggling.. I see the whole 300 names in the client computers.. But I can't login. Please help.. Thanks.

email: talk2thy@yahoo.com

Aug 19, 2005 6:40 PM in response to tbun

Well, here's my step by step explanation - hope it helps.
On the client, open Directory Access. Clicl LDAP, click configure. Click the show options triangle, click new. Enter the server's IP and a configuration name (the config name is just for your info) In the mappings enter dc=servername,dc=local
Next click the Authentication tab, select custom from the drop down tab, and select something to the effect LDAPv3 127.0.0.1
That should do it.

Aug 21, 2005 1:42 PM in response to Jeff Kelleher

I uses Directory Access for the local workstation. I open LDAPv3 and configure..

I put information from the server:
Configuartion Name: TigerServer

Server Name or IP address

LDAP Mappings
From Server

Authentication - Search: Custom path
/LDAPv3/10.126.4.66

I reboot the client computers.. I see all the names but when i click on any name and put password, I got only wiggling.. I only can login as a local admin computer only.

Please tell me what i did wrong or any links, help...Thank you.

10.4 client unable to login 10.4 OD Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.