Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook REALLY SMELLS BAD!!

Whenever I begin using my iBook, whether after waking it from sleep or booting it normally, it begins to smell kinda like a rotten egg or a locker room smell. What could be causing this? Is it something that I should just live with? (because it's really pretty strong)

iBook G3 500mhz (Dual USB, I think), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 1, 2008 9:06 PM

12 replies

Jan 3, 2008 8:15 AM in response to DJJD

I have not noticed the smell on my iBook, but a possible source is that the plastic is cooking. The constant heat from having the iBook on could be causing a breakdown of the chemical structure of the plastic. Until I smell the smell, I could not pin point the source within the iBook. Usually softer (more plyable) plastics are effected sooner. The heat is not high enough to show scorching, but it could be cooking anyway. Concerning Safety, the problem is not critical, i.e. the iBook will not ignite as some computers did when lithium batteries were first put to use. Also, it is possible that the smell will go away. When the SO2 (rotten egg) is driven off the smell should subside, however, the resulting chemical structure of the plastic may be different.

Jan 3, 2008 9:10 AM in response to William White1

Have you read any of the linked threads?

I have had my iBook G3 800 MHz on almost continuously for almost 4 years (only sleeping the display, and only restarting when necessary) and it does not smell bad, so I know this is not happening to all of them.

If you're unlucky enough to get a stinky one, the smell will not go away with time. Nobody has reported that happening. NOBODY.

Keyboard replacement seems to be the only sure fix, and some people have reported that the smell returned some months later, even after replacing the keyboard.

Jan 3, 2008 10:18 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Hey Rhonda,
If you're unlucky enough to get a stinky one, the smell will not go away with time. Nobody has reported that happening. NOBODY.

When I first got that iBook G3 14" 700MHz that had been in a car crash. It had been closed up for a long time and it had that smell. After I replaced the screen and had it reballed the smell diminished so that it was no longer noticable. I think airing it out helps and probably the heat helps with the outgassing (if that is truely the problem). The bad thing was I was blaming the kid I got it from as having BO but now know better.

Richard

Jan 4, 2008 1:48 PM in response to The Guy with 12 Macs

+it can be linked to the logic board issue.+

Where did you get that idea? My non-stinky iBook G3 800 MHz has been back three times for logic board repair and smells fine (which is to say, not at all).

In the 4 years and 11 months I've been reading and posting on Apple Discussions,most of them spent in the iBook G3 (Dual USB) Forum, this is the first I've heard of a connection between smell and logic board problems.

Jan 14, 2008 12:41 PM in response to DJJD

I just got a 500MHz Dual USB on eBay. To me the iBook smelled exactly like a lab I worked in as a custodian where they did experiments on Beagles, then killed, dissected, and incinerated them. I quit after 3 days.

Replacement keyboards are for sale on eBay for around $25. I've ordered one. I'd already taken all the keys off of my current keyboard and thoroughly cleaned under them, to no avail. I think it's better just to buy a new one. If they both stink, then I'll have an extra to disassemble and fix, and not worry about putting my iBook out of commission. Good info on the repair process can be found with Google by entering [ibook "dual usb" smell keyboard] into the search box.

Jan 16, 2008 11:54 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thanks Ronda.

By repair process I mean taking the keyboard completely apart and removing the smelly adhesive. From what I've read, it seems that hazardous solvents would probably have to be used, and in a well ventilated area. I can't quite recall where I read this, but the excellent page I started at, which has a lot of links on the subject is:

http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/mooresmailbag_ask_applelinks_ibook_smells_like_bo/

I must add that there are several sites which recommend disguising the oder with air fresheners. I think this is a bad idea because the gas being emitted by the adhesive may very well be toxic. It may not be, but who really knows? It's best to replace the keyboard and not take the chance.

My smelly keyboard has a green ribbon cable. I'm waiting for one with a clear ribbon cable to arrive in the mail. The seller said it doesn't have an oder. I'm guessing that perhaps the keyboards with the green cables had the problem, and the ones with the clear cables didn't? It's a possibility. Anyway, I've wrapped my current keyboard in anti-static plastic, and that has cut the smell down quite a bit.

iBook REALLY SMELLS BAD!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.