Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Licensing Vista, Windows XP and VMWare

822 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2008 9:06 PM by Oh Boy RSS
Christopher Meinck Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 2, 2008 12:29 PM
I recently purchased Vista Home Premium and XP Home for use on a new MacBook Pro that I plan on ordering. I also ordered VMWare. I'd like to set up both Vista and XP in Bootcamp. I assume that I'll have to go through the Windows activation, etc at that point. My question, Is it possible to use those copies with VMWare or will Windows think it's a separate installation, thus requiring a new activation?

What's the ideal setup?
Dual Core 2.0 PowerMac | PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (58,580 points)
    Jan 2, 2008 1:42 PM (in response to Christopher Meinck)
    Check out the VMware Fusion message boards. Yes, set it up in both first before you activate. You can have multiple VMs but only one in a physical partition, unless you have Mac Pro or bend the rules (and skip using BCA and just format muliple partitions).

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/fusion
    Mac Pro 2GHz 6GB WD Raptors Cinema HD, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Nvidia 8600GTS, Sonnet 2EP APC RS1500 Vista Ultimate x64-SP1(RC)
  • Oh Boy Calculating status...
    Feb 4, 2008 9:06 PM (in response to The hatter)
    The hatter, you indicated "Yes, set it up in both first before you activate." Does that mean that when you activate in Fusion you would only need to activate Windows once without being prompted to activate when you switch between Fusion and Boot Camp? I've checked VMWare's boards and these and it seems there's no way around having to activate twice - once in Boot Camp and once in Fusion.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.