Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem Screen Sharing with my grandma.

I am having trouble screen sharing with my grandmother's computer. I have a brand new Mac Book Pro 15-inch, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of memory with Mac OS X 10.5.1 . I bought my computer and my grandmother's back in October right after Leopard was released. She has a brand new iMac 20-inch, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB of memory with Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 .

We have been talking over video/audio chats using AIM for quite some time now with no problems other then an occasional internet problem (audio or video skips for a second or audio/video quality is bad for a few seconds). She is used to Windows so I have had to show/explain the basics of a Mac and every time she has a problem with something I try to help her by walking her through it, but it would be really nice if I could just do it myself through Screen Sharing. We have tried to share her screen but it comes up with and error message every time.

I have looked at the things that people are saying about how to fix your problem with screen sharing and I have tried most of them but they don't seem to be working. Maybe I am just missing something.
Please help me get this to work.

Mac Book Pro, iMac G5, iMac G4, iMac G3, Original iMac, 30 GB iPod Video 5th gen, 4 GB iPod Nano 1st, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of Memory

Posted on Jan 2, 2008 1:57 PM

18 replies

Feb 9, 2008 9:44 AM in response to Anticonformist42

ok here is the error message.

"Failed to start Screen Sharing because: Screen sharing could not be established"
And it is not because my grandmother did not accept it is because of something else.

umm.. I don't really know anything about ports. Could you explain what I have to do? Are they physical ports or ports in the computer?

Feb 12, 2008 8:19 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

No it does not come up asking me if I want to send the error to apple.

I was reading around and someone said that some internet providers block screen sharing so I thought I would tell you what our ISPs are. I use what was Alltel when we first got it but now is Windstream at 3Mbps. My grandmother as Quest at 1.5Mbps. I also have an Airport Express for our WiFi internet.
I don't know if any of this help.

Feb 12, 2008 8:22 AM in response to Anticonformist42

Verizon FiOS, their fibre service is the only one that someone has posted about.

We know Comcast and Road Runner try to limit Peer-to-Peer files sharing by different methods.

I would check ypour ISPs web site for any "Fair Usaage" Statements or any blurb they have sent you.

Also check the advice Defcom has posted.

User uploaded file

4:22 PM Tuesday; February 12, 2008

Feb 12, 2008 8:38 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

ok thanks. I will try limiting the streaming speed next time that she gets on.

ok I looked into the ISPs usage policy and form what I could see it does not say anything about file sharing. Maybe I missed something. here is the link to the usage page. http://www2.windstream.net/alltel/portal/customersupport/?hrefURL=/customersuppo rt/usersguide/accept/accept.html

Feb 12, 2008 8:55 AM in response to Anticonformist42

This is a Bit worrying

IRC

You may not use IRC bots, or violate any policy of an IRC server, when using our service, including use of IRC-based telephony and videoconferencing. It is your responsibility to determine the acceptable use policies for any IRC server to which you connect.

IRC = Internet Relay Chat

Although normally regarded as a specific service it could be interpreted as a General use thing.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRC

The Diagram in the Client Software section is somewhat like Peer-to-Peer file sharing would look like.

User uploaded file

4:55 PM Tuesday; February 12, 2008

Feb 12, 2008 9:25 AM in response to Anticonformist42

As you say there is nothing Specific in the Info about Fair Usage.

However the things you can not do are not so specific and could be stretched to cover what you want to do.

However it would depend on how actively they searched the data traffic for the things that might be interpreted as P2P file sharing and the from it takes.

As you can Video to some and Not Screen Share to others it sounds more like a NAT issue with (or possibly ports for Sharing Screens at your Grandma's) between you and your Buddy. ANd I think it is unlikely to be your ISP.

The Screen sharing part of iChat does not use the listed A/V or login ports.
It is supposed to use the Apple Remote Desktop ports that it is based on. However I have used Little Snitch which has pointed to many other Ports almost at random.

Try changing the Login port at both your End and your Grandma's
(iChat > Preferences > Accounts > Server settings tab - change the port from 5190 to 443) You can only do this whilst logged out of the AIM servers.

User uploaded file

5:25 PM Tuesday; February 12, 2008

Feb 13, 2008 4:36 PM in response to Defcom-UK

My iChat was working fine between my iMac and my sisters Macbook Pro yesterday afternoon.
We both upgraded to Mac OS X(10.5.2) combo update last night and then it upgraded the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0. After that the iChat Screen Sharing didn't work any longer.

This morning and this afternoon I was on the phone with Apple across 4 hours trying to get this to work.
They finally admitted that they couldn't get it working.
The last comments Apple left with me is that they will have to pass this on as a BUG to their Engineering team to fix.

Doug

Feb 14, 2008 8:32 AM in response to Anticonformist42

I'm also having trouble getting screen sharing to work, as well as not being able to video chat.

We both have the latest versions of Leopard, both connected via Ethernet cable, both through Comcast. I can share a screen with my wife's MacBook while in the house on the same network, but once I go outside my LAN, it depends on who I'm connecting to.

I can video chat with my uncle's Mac, who is on Tiger, but not one that is brand new.

I should also note that Comcast wasn't helpful at all in trying to resolve it, saying it's Apple's software. If I call Apple about it, they'll tell me it's Comcast. Why won't anyone take responsibility in resolving issues like this?

Message was edited by: Evan Wiener

Feb 14, 2008 1:46 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

The following were some of the things APPLE had me try but with no success:

1. TURN ON SCREEN SHARING
Make sure sharing was turned on, on both computers
Open System Preferences
Under Internet & Network
Click on Sharing
Check Screen Sharing
Select Allow access for: All Users
(Green dot to left of "Screen Sharing: On)
Below it says something like:
"Other users can access your computer at vnc://192.168.1.10/
or browse for "John Doe's Computer".
Close dialog box.
Still didn't work...

2. OPEN ALL PORTS ON YOUR ROUTER FIREWALL
Turned off the firewall on my Router
Still didn't work...

3. REBOOT BOTH MAC'S AND RUN DISK UTILITIES
Insert Mac OS X Install Disk 1
Hold down keyboard key C while Mac boots
Select your language (Mine was "Use English....")
Click the ...> arrow
+*(DO NOT PRESS CONTINUE) on this next screen*+
From the Menu
Select "Utilities"
Select "Disk Utility..."
Select "Macintosh HD"
Select "Disk Utility..."
Select "Repair Disk"
WHEN IT IS FINISHED
Select "Repair Disk Permissions"
Quit Disk Utility
Quit Mac OS X Installer
Select "Restart"
This shuts down and restarts the Macs (Did this on both machines)
Still didn't work...

4. DELETE ALL com.Apple.IChat FILES
Quit iChat on both computers
There were four com.Apple.IChat files on my iMac and four on my sisters MacBook Pro
com.Apple.IChat.plist
com.Apple.IChat.AIM.plist
com.Apple.IChat.SubNet.plist
com.Apple.IChatAgent.plist
To be sure we reboot each Mac before we started iChat again.
Still didn't work...

5. Had me go out side to get connected via public WiFi (both computers) so that I was not using my own router.
Still didn't work...

6. Finally Apple (Advanced Support) told me that there must be a bug in iChat with OS X 10.5.2 and that they would have Engineering look into it.

Doug

Problem Screen Sharing with my grandma.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.