Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MS Terminal Services/Citrix equivelant

This may be the wrong forum area but none of the others seem to be appropriate either.

What I'm looking for is an equivalent to Citrix/TS functionality. I'm looking for the ability to log into a server or desktop remotely kind of like RDC with MS. A way to push applications to other desktops is a goal as well. I know X11 has this ability but from what I can tell it doesn't push Mac software only X11 based software. I also like RDC's ability to use a Web Page based interface for access over HTTP(S).

If anyone has any inklings as to where to obtain this kind functionality in OS X/Server I'd appreciate it.

Oh. I realize that Remote Desktop does this but it's applied from a support standpoint not a user standpoint.

Posted on Aug 16, 2005 8:59 AM

4 replies

Sep 13, 2005 10:53 PM in response to Michael Kleinpaste

I discussed this functionality with Apple at an executive briefing some two years ago, and didn't get much in the way of an enthusiastic response. I think it had to do with my couching it in the terms of a Citrix competitor. But, they don't want non-Windows users to use their systems remotely (i.e. from a Linux desktop), they want OS X ON the desktop.

As I recall, NextStep/OpenStep had a proprietary remote display protocol to handle the display of Display Postscript on remote clients. No idea what happened to that with OS X....

Sep 13, 2005 11:09 PM in response to Sean Brannon

Disappointing, but Thanks.

Even a functionality that works like X11 (the ability to push individual applications out to clients) independant of OS would be great. If it had something like that there's a good chance I could convince my company to start porting our software to an OS X base. It may not be running on the desktop CPU, but it can get it's exposure out of the backend and make users curious on the front-end.

The reliability alone is worth it, but being able to provide a Citrix like connection would be great.

MS Terminal Services/Citrix equivelant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.