Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac 9600/350 (NO Video)

Okay, I have a PowerMac 9600/350 that worked when I bought it used a while, but has since stopped showing Video, Powers Up, Chime, Fans, HD is going, so I assumed it was the Video Card, I have a Vodoo 3dfx card, so I assumed it was bad, so I tried the stock video card, and another PCI Mac video Card, and no luck, I reset the PRAM, did CUDA Reset, and NO VIDEO still, 95% sure it can't be the main board.

I have a 8600/200 and a 8600/300 I don't use that are doing the same thing,but all I need is the PM 9600/350 working now, ram I checked out too, I am thinking it could be the PRAM battery dead? What do you think any help would be great

PM G4 DP 1.25ghz MDD, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 4, 2008 2:39 AM

6 replies

Jan 4, 2008 11:20 AM in response to Mr. Macintosh

Although the article Jan references does not list the 9600 as one that suffers the "low battery--no video" problems, I have found other models not on the list that do the same thing. I vote for trying a new battery first as well.

The only part that concerns me is that, often, when you do a CUDA reset, that's enough to get the thing running again, at least temporarily.

On the models in the list, I've found that booting from a system CD, or doing a warm boot once you hear everything running, usually restored video temporarily.

Don't know about the 9600 but the Beige G3 always boots to a desktop res of 640x480 and then switches to the user-prescribed res when the user preferences load. If the PRAM battery is dead, the user's settings are not preserved. If the connected monitor and/or video card do not support 640x480, you can get a black screen. Again, try a warm boot and see if you can get video, then immediately restore your desired desktop resolution.

Jan 4, 2008 6:35 PM in response to Mr. Macintosh

You did not mention doing a PRAM reset AFTER the battery replacement. The battery allows your Mac to remember, but what it remembers may be garbage. The PRAM Reset with a good battery should clear it up.

Jim (Apaloosa Mac Man) swears by doing a warm reset:
Power up. Wait until hard drive stops seeking.
press Command Option keyboard-power-button to cause a reset

your Mac restarts but does not cycle the power to do so, and sometimes the screen comes on.

Jan 7, 2008 5:23 AM in response to Mr. Macintosh

After installing the new PRAM battery, I recommend that you reinstall the stock video card and wait patiently while it boots up.

I had the same problem and after the PRAM battery discharged, I was unable to boot the machine with an aftermarket (Radeon 7000 Mac Edition & another one ROM flashed) video card, despite trying everything. I had to dig up the original graphics card to boot the machine up.

Read my reply here

Message was edited by: Melvin C

PowerMac 9600/350 (NO Video)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.