Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport doesn't auto join anymore

I'm not sure what happened but for some reason my macbook pro (running leopard) wont auto join the wireless network in my apartment. My girlfriend's macbook (running tiger) and my powerbook (also running tiger) both connect to the network automatically. Before I installed 10.5.1 I was able to open up my lid and wait a moment and the macbook pro would be on the network. Now I have to wait a long moment (5 minutes sometimes) then click the airport icon in the menu and manually select the network. Sometimes after I click it is says "this network requires a password" but the password is saved. I can just click ok and it will connect but why doesn't it auto join anymore?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5), Powerbook G4 (10.4.x)

Posted on Jan 4, 2008 9:13 AM

4 replies

Mar 27, 2008 6:35 AM in response to sequethin

I've been very frustrated with what it says in the System Preferences that it'll auto joined preferred Network, but doesn't perform. The manual clicking to join/connect is not ideal for my daily ease of use.

I read many pages discussing this issue, but majority hasn't fix this, so I am quite confident that it's Leopard bugs. I spent 2 days reading and trying many ways, but my MacBook still won't auto join my preferred network after logged in, sleep, restart... Is there any freeware can do this?

Mar 29, 2008 9:10 PM in response to sequethin

I managed to resolve "Auto join preferred network", by doing this (found in MacNN Forum)
:

Keychain Utilities Access
Your network should be in both the login and system keychains

Enter both entries and, under the Access Control tab, give all applications access to the password.

(Try to repair keychain and verify it, I got a pop up keychain asking me to confirm Airport usage during the first time, I click ok and try to tell keychain not to lock itself)

Now, my Airport manage to auto join preferred network without any manual clicking in Leopard!

I wonder why Apple's Leopard team never tested this/fix this before? I am pretty sure many others are out there stucked with this problem.

Airport doesn't auto join anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.