Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blu-Ray

Does Leopard 10.5 support the playing of Blu-Ray discs?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 5, 2008 1:01 PM

10 replies

Jan 13, 2008 7:48 AM in response to HREsquivelO

Mac OS X 10.5 does support burning blu-ray discs. See the "Leopard Really Likes Blu-ray Burners" post at this website: http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-12-05/
Okay so the images are in French, but you still get the idea of what they are doing.

Mac OS X 10.5 does NOT support playback of blu-ray movies because it does not provide copyright protection for the material (HDCP: high-bandwidth digital content protection). In my opinion this is a hardware and software issue.

Monitors usually connect to computers using VGA or DVI cables. VGA does not support copyright protection encryption and will not allow hi-def playback. HDCP encryption is used on DVI connections to provide copyright protection. HDMI is commonly used when connecting home theater components and is a descendant of DVI. Therefore HDMI uses HDCP encryption as well.

To provide copyright protection the encryption must be supported on the transmitter/source player, cable assembly, and the receiver/display device. In this case the transmitter is a computer. More specifically the video card inside the computer. Most newer video cards support HDCP encryption.

The next component is the cable assembly. Have you ever looked closely at a cable and noticed pins missing? I do not know the pinout for a DVI cable, but all the necessary wires need to be present inside the cable to transmit the encrypted signal to the receiver.

The last device is the signal receiver or in this case an Apple monitor. The monitor needs to support HDCP encryption in order to render an image on the screen, otherwise an HDCP encrypted signal will be meaning less to a "dumb display." HDCP enabled displays know how to establish, terminate, and maintain an encrypted session in order to view hi-def content like a blu-ray movie.

I do not know, but I assume the monitor is at fault. Looking at Apple's website I notice the 23" and 30" models are named "Cinema HD Display." But I doubt HD has any meaning other than the display supports a resolution equal to or greater than 1080p. I do not think HD refers to HDCP encryption support.

Mmmm, I wonder....
1)The playback picture quality of hi-def content is equal to the original filming of the movie. And to address piracy, HDCP encryption was created to prevent making copies of anything but the original. So without HDCP, why not allow playback at a lesser picture quality? So if a computer does not support HDCP, but has a blu-ray player why can't it play movies at 480p or 720p. Playback at 1080p or higher would only be allowed using HDCP encryption.

2)FireWire or IEEE 1394 is a common feature on Apple computers. Digital Transmission Content Protection (DTCP) is to FireWire what HDCP is to DVI. In my opinion Apple computers should support HDCP encryption on DVI connections and DTCP encryption on IEEE 1394/FireWire connections.

Brandon Moses

Feb 19, 2008 11:33 AM in response to moses388

One correction....

HD is NOT equal to the original film quality. If it was shot digitally in 1080i/p, etc., then to some extent it is, but it's been through many processes and is most likely no longer EQUAL in quality. It has the same pixel count, but not necessarily the same quality as the original. Now when we're talking it was shot in film, then we're WAY off base. Film has no resolution. It's WAY better than HD. It's like comparing a snap shot of what the human eye sees vs. taking as still photo with an 8MP camera. Yeah, the 8MP image is really nice and high pixel count, but doesn't even come close to the quality of what the eye sees.

This is why so many theaters and film houses still display the movies by film and not a digital medium.

Feb 19, 2008 11:46 AM in response to Christoph ***

Just a note of interest on this topic. Toshiba has apparently stopped producing HD DVD machines which should end the competition with Sony winning this time. Apple and Sony have traditionally had good relations and the rumor was that as soon as economy of scale brought the price of the Blue Ray DVDs down Apple would favor them over HD DVD in any event. Now that seems a forgone conclusion.

Blu-Ray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.