Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen forcing me to ReBoot asNothing works since Leopard KernelPanic

Since Leopard, I have had at least five episodes of Black Screen forcing me to ReBoot as Nothing works since Leopard - There is NO warning. Just a Black Screen and no access to the computer. I have to press the start up button to close down. Of course everything I was working on is lost. I've never had this happen with Tiger or below.

The last time it happened, I had trouble with Safari and other program screens freezing up so my mouse or keyboard would not work. I could just refresh the Safari screen and it would work OK. Not sure if that is related.

Is this a kernel panic?

G5 desktop, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Netgear wireless router WGT624

Posted on Jan 6, 2008 6:14 AM

4 replies

Jan 6, 2008 6:21 AM in response to epospiech

Do you have any third-party login items or preference panes?
Any non-Leopard-compatible software?
Any incompatible peripherals attached? Try disconnecting all except keyboard, mouse and network.

Some other things you could try:

Reset PRAM (Shut down, locate Apple-Option-P-R keys. Press power to start up and immediately press and hold Apple-Option-P-R and keep holding those keys down until you hear startup chime three times, then release the keys).

Safe Boot. Restart and immediately press and hold Shift key until you see login screen with "Safe Boot" in red. Log in and continue startup. Then restart normally.

Boot from Leopard DVD and repair permissions on startup drive. Then reboot from startup drive and Repair Permissions again.

Re-apply 10.5.1 update using 10.5.1 "combo" updater downloaded from Apple.

Let us know if any of these help.

Black Screen forcing me to ReBoot asNothing works since Leopard KernelPanic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.