Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine turned itself OFF - why?

I posted this to the wrong forum and am reposting it here ...

I just discovered that Time Machine has not been working for over a month (I looked at the backup drive and that was the date on the most recent folder.) So I looked at my Time Machine preferences and Time Machine was OFF. I'm pretty sure I didn't do that. I wonder whether it could be caused by my external drive being offline when Time Machine attempted to backup. I've had that sort of problem with other software. Instead of waiting until the drive comes online it turns the option off permanently. If that is the case with Time Machine it is pretty scary. It means that I can't rely on Time Machine. Has anyone else had this experience?
(The very least it could do is send me some sort of alert.)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jan 6, 2008 7:29 AM

11 replies

Jan 7, 2008 11:46 AM in response to Patricia W

Mine work the same way. I never lock anything in system preferences so I've never noticed before. It would probably be a good idea to leave them unlocked for awhile and keep a sharp eye out to see if Time Machine decides to turn itself off again. It certainly shouldn't be doing any such thing under any circumstances and should be reported as a bug if it does.

Time Machine turned itself OFF - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.