5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2008 5:54 PM by Jerrold Green1
cube60 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I am having trouble here printing a sheet with gridlines. When I go to Print, the preview shows no gridlines. I tried as a PDF and the preview shows the gridlines. When I try to print either one, there are no gridlines around the data. When I used Excel on Windows, there was a check box to select printing or omitting the gridlines. Can't seem to find anything like that in Numbers. Can't seem to find anything in any of three manuals I looked into.

What now?

Thank you

IMac20 2.4, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (29,935 points)
    Hi Cube,

I'm going to guess that the reason that you're not getting grid lines when you print a table in Numbers is that you haven't actually put any lines on the grid yet. In order to put lines on the grid (what Numbers calls Cell Borders), you need to go the the Inspector and select the Table tab. Then about half way down the page you will find a section titled Cell Borders. After you have told Numbers where you want the lines to be, and what type lines (solid or dashed), and how thick, and what color, you will be able to print them.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
  • cube60 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    OK - thank you. I tried that, and I can outline a group of cells. What I want is every cell printed - it makes it easier for me to read across a row, for instance. I guess what I am looking for is a WYSIWYG approach where I look at the cells on my Table 1 and THAT is what will print.
    You can choose to outline the whole selected block, as you did (Numbers calls that "Outside Edges", and/or you can select the dividers within the block. The selection for the dividers (outlining each of the cells within the block) is called "Inside Borders". The graphic symbol for Inside Borders looks like a plus sign.

You're going good! Just keep at it. By the way, there's a shortcut to these table formatting selections on the Format Bar, just above the window you're working in, and to the right of the Cell formatting options.

Jerry
  • cube60 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thank you - this works now!!
    You are quite welcome.

Jerry