Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get some additional use out of the home page icons?

The existing icons are nice, but it'd be still neater if clicking on one, such as the Safari icon, gave access to nested webapps such as Google Maps, my local libraries, and weather.com; or could at least add a few icons to the existing ones.

Has anyone tried any webapps that do that sort of thing?

MacBook 1,1 Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jan 6, 2008 10:11 PM

13 replies

Jan 8, 2008 9:53 AM in response to voyager360

Hi all - I spent some time yesterday and had a lot of joy using the iPod Touch to set up three pages of nifty icons in iTapPad, only to find that starting from the Home Page, all I see are the given icons of Safari, iTunes, etc. Is that because iTapPad is geared to the iPhone, and not the iPod? I suppose I can always manually go to the website of each icon and bookmark it as a workaround... Or am I missing something obvious to anyone out there?

Rich

Jan 8, 2008 10:37 AM in response to richman0829

Hi Rich,

Yes, you are missing something! When you registered on iTapPad they should have sent you a URL linking you to your personal page. That is where all your icons reside. So what you do on your touch is tap the Safari button to connect to Wi Fi. Then go to your TapPad page and you'll see all your icons on the screen (you may be able to set it up so that hitting Safari sends you directly to this page). Tapping on any one will open a new web page corresponding to the icon you hit - just like any icon on the iPhone! To go back to the icons page hit the web pages icon and flip back to the page that has them. Very simple, and just like you had a jailbroken touch - except it isn't broken!

Jan 8, 2008 10:54 AM in response to A A P L

True, but +the whole concept of the touch+ is eye candy. I'd wager that you could scroll through your music list as quickly with the conventional scroll wheel on an iPod than you can by finger flipping the list - but it is so cool to do that! The whole point of the touch is a visual experience with icons, not going through a bookmark list. That's why Apple populated the iPhone with them, and why touch owners are so frustrated that they were removed on theirs.

Remember when the DOS users used to say "that Mac thing with folders and clicking on them - I can do that with command lines just as easily!" 😉

How can I get some additional use out of the home page icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.