This discussion is archived

Help Needed With Online Video Content

1598 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2008 8:10 PM by arri RSS
1 2 Previous Next
SuaveBhav Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 9, 2008 9:05 AM
Hi All,

I am fairly new to Mac's and have a MBP 2.2 with Tiger installed. I have Safari & Firefox installed for web browsers. My software is all up to date. I am finding that most times (but not all) I have great difficulty in viewing any online video's from websites - it either takes an absolute age to load, loads a bit at a time, repetitively freezes & starts, breaks up or won't load at all. I would say it happens about 80% of the time. I have tried to do what little I can with my very novice knowledge of computers and the Mac system but this is just as bad as it was when I was on a PC.

I have checked adobe flash player and am up to date and only have either Safari or Firefox on at any one time with no other programmes running. My activity monitor usually shows that the CPU is idle between 85% and 95%.

I found a programme called Speedbit but it only works for PC's (I would have to find that after I had made the switch to Mac's!) but I cannot find anything similar for Mac's.

Can anyone please help me out as I am at a loss. Why is this happening and what is the solution? Please feel free to give me guidance and instructions as if I were a complete idiot! This is really doing my head in!

Thank You,

SuaveBhav!
MacBook Pro 3.1, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 15"/Intel 2.2 Core2Duo/120GB HDD
  • Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (43,490 points)
    Jan 9, 2008 9:20 AM (in response to SuaveBhav)
    These are the downloads and the settings you need in order to view/hear pretty much everything that the net can throw at you: The setup described below has proved repeatedly successful on both PPC and Intel macs, but nothing in life carries a guarantee!

It is known to work in the great majority of cases with Safari 3.0.4, QT 7.3 and OS 10.4.11. (If you are running Leopard, ensure that all plug-ins have been updated for OS 10.5)

Assuming you already run Tiger versions OS 10.4.9 or above (this has not yet been verified with Leopard) and have Quicktime 7.2 or above, and are using Safari 2 or 3, download and install (or re-install even if you already had them) the latest versions, suitable for your flavor of Mac, of:

RealPlayer 10 for Mac from http://forms.real.com/real/player/blackjack.html?platform2=Mac%20OS%20X&product= RealPlayer%2010&proc=g3&lang=&show_list=0&src=macjack

Flip4Mac WMV Player from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx (Windows Media Player for the Mac is no longer supported, even by Microsoft)

Perian from http://perian.org/

Adobe FlashPlayer should first be uninstalled using the appropriate uninstaller available here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=2 and then the latest version obtained from here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1ProdVersion=ShockwaveFlash and installed.

(You can check here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ to see which version you should install for your Mac and OS.)

In earlier versions than QT 7.1.3 in Quicktime Preferences, under advanced, UNcheck Enable Flash, and under Mime settings/Miscellananeous only check Quicktime HTML (QHTM).

You should also ensure, if you are running Tiger 10.4.11 or Leopard, that you have downloaded and installed the correct version for your Mac of Security Update 2007-009.1.1, which also deals with the Quicktime/Flash issues you may have experienced, such as the '?'. What happened was that both Quicktime as well as Adobe FlashPlayer tried to play the Flash video at the same time. This no longer happens. (N.B. Security Update 2007-009 requires both a restart and a permission repair.)

See also the very informative post from QuickTimeKirk dated Dec 3, 2007 in this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1268489&tstart=0

In Macintosh HD/Library/Quicktime/ delete any files relating to DivX (Perian already has them). However it should be noted that Perian is not an internet plugin and will not play DivX files imbedded on a website. For that you will need the DivX Player browser plugin available from http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

Now go to Safari Preferences/Security, and tick the boxes under Web Content (all 4 of them).

Lastly open Audio Midi Setup (which you will find in the Utilities Folder of your Applications Folder) and click on Audio Devices. Make sure that both Audio Input and Audio Output, under Format, are set to 44100 Hz.

Important: Now repair permissions and restart.

You should also consider having the free VLC Player from http://www.videolan.org/ in your armory, as this plays almost anything that DVD Player might not.
    20" 2.1GHz iSight iMac G5, 250GB HD, 1.5GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iLife 6.0.3, Toast 7.1.2, iTunes 7.2, QTPro 7.3, Safari 3.0.4, iChat 3.1.8
    Jan 9, 2008 2:43 PM (in response to SuaveBhav)
    Good Luck!

Post back when the smoke clears!
    20" 2.1GHz iSight iMac G5, 250GB HD, 1.5GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iLife 6.0.3, Toast 7.1.2, iTunes 7.2, QTPro 7.3, Safari 3.0.4, iChat 3.1.8
  • Rick Van Vliet Level 5 Level 5 (6,385 points)
    Jan 11, 2008 3:45 AM (in response to SuaveBhav)
    Not sure why you are experiencing blurred screen, or hardware heating.

But - Are you using a high-speed connection to view these videos?
    Could the intermittent loading be a result of slow internet speed instead of updated software or hardware issues?
    Mac Mini(ppc), Mac OS X (10.5.1), 7x WinXP, 1x Vista, 3x Linux
    Jan 11, 2008 3:54 AM (in response to SuaveBhav)
    My thoughts are much the same as Rick's. I have never heard of such a temperature rise for that reason.

If I were you I would take the Mac to the Genius Bar to have it checked.
    Jan 11, 2008 5:55 AM (in response to SuaveBhav)
    Klaus and I would be agreeing again.
    See if you can get this mac to the Genius Bar at a local Apple Store.
    Is this a new mac? Have you got warranty contact info?

Apple Store>Genius might be your best bet
    (98 C? that's awfully warm. Can you find that discussion and link to it here to document these claims and similarities?)
    Jan 11, 2008 6:25 AM (in response to SuaveBhav)
    This is going beyond "Getting online and networking".
    But only one of those threads is useful. the apple.com discussion.
    Something's causing your mac to overheat.

If you have made sure that all the vents are clear (place mac on a solid surface - no rugs, tablecloths, blankets), and yu've checked that the intake and exhaust vents are clear of crud and/or dust. try blasting with compressed air. And you still haven't said whether this is a New mac...and you hav;ent said if there's an Apple store near you.

Please check the items above, in the sentence starting with "If..."
    This is sort of starting to look like a hardware issue. Contact Apple?

Message was edited by: Rick Van Vliet
    Jan 11, 2008 6:52 AM (in response to Rick Van Vliet)
    But only one of those threads is useful. the apple.com discussion.

Bother! Now we have to disagree!

That thread is one year old and refers to a different version of Quicktime. Moreover, it relates to Quicktime for Windows!

And read again the last post in that thread - he repaired his cooling fans in his Windows PC!

I simply (could end up eating these words) do not buy into the theory that this is Quicktime related. It may be software related, but much more likely to be hardware related.

My thinking goes along the lines of the battery, there have been lots of problems with those.
    Jan 11, 2008 6:54 AM (in response to SuaveBhav)
    SuaveBhav, I think the occurrence of the overheating, and the reinstallation, are coincidental.

You need to brave the London traffic and get that Mac to the genius bar!
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.