Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I redirect the "Documents" folder to a different partition?

I have a separate data partition on my 10.5.1 MacBook and I want all my user data to live there. How do I redirect the "Documents", "Desktop" and "Downloads" folders to a different partition?

MacBook 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.5.1), My first Mac.

Posted on Jan 10, 2008 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2008 10:29 AM

What you want to do is change your home directory.
4 replies

Jan 10, 2008 10:32 AM in response to CraftGeek

You can use a symbolic link.

From terminal:

ln -s /Volumes/OtherPartition/Documents Documents
ln -s /Volumes/OtherPartition/Desktop Desktop
ln -s /Volumes/OtherPartition/Downloads Downloads

WHERE

OtherPartition is the name of the partition you've moved those things to.

Note, the Documents Desktop and Downloads directories CANNOT exist in your home folder when you do this or you'll get an error (so you should have already moved them). Also, once you've done this you'll probably want to log out and log back in.

Jan 10, 2008 10:34 AM in response to CraftGeek

As far as I know the desktop can't be assigned elsewhere. The others can be directed with the respective programs. I always keep my documents on another drive. I do it by using the saves as command and point to that directory. Then everything after that I can use there. For Downloads you just change it in preferences in Safari. Switch it in the *Save downloaded files to:* command.

User uploaded file

How do I redirect the "Documents" folder to a different partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.