Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Applescript to edit a .vcs file

I need to edit the text of an iCal format .vcs file. I'm a REAL NEWBIE to Applescript. So far, I've been able to figure out how to get Applescript to open the file to import it into iCal. What I WANT to be able to do is to use Applescript to edit .vcs files that were exported from another application BEFORE I add them to my iCal. I know the .vcs files can be treated as straight text by Applescript/TextEdit. Here is some example text content from one of these files:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:1.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTStart:20051027T134500Z
DTEnd:20051027T164500Z
LOCATION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Elluminate Live!
SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE: WEBQUEST TESTING
DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:To attend this session please goto: https://xxx.xxxx.xxxx
PRIORITY:3
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

The text after the SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE: and

DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE

Is varialble text that changes with each .vcs event that is created. I want to be able to either a) change that following text to something standard or (if that is not possible) b) remove the variable text altogether.

Could anyone give me any pointers about how that could be done?

Thanks

Posted on Oct 27, 2005 2:30 PM

3 replies

Oct 27, 2005 5:10 PM in response to Tyson Brown

Hi Tyson,

This will modify the content of a file in the way you wish. I can't create a true .vcs file to test import. Hope it helps (I'm a bit rusty).

set VCS_file to choose file
set the_text to read VCS_file
set parcount to count paragraphs in the_text
set nu_text to ""
set {oldtids, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, ":"}
repeat with x from 1 to parcount
set nextpar to paragraph x of the_text
if nextpar begins with "SUMMARY" then set nextpar to text item 1 of nextpar & ":something"
if nextpar begins with "DESCRIPTION" then set nextpar to text item 1 of nextpar & ":something else"
set nu_text to nu_text & nextpar & return
end repeat
try
set target_file to (open for access VCS_file with write permission)
set eof target_file to 0
write nu_text to target_file
close access target_file
on error
display dialog "VCS file was not changed"
close access target_file
end try
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldtids

As it stands this creates a return character at the end of the last line. If that's a problem you could either parse it out or grep the file.

HTH
H

Nov 3, 2005 12:46 PM in response to Tyson Brown

After much futzing around with Applescript, and with the assistance of posters on this forum, I've been able to build an Applescript that does the following:
1. process a bunch of .vcs files that are dropped overtop of it (drag and drop, courtesy of the Essential Subroutines pages)
2. Parse out the .vcs file into text paragraphs, courtesy of the poster who replied to my original post.
3. import that .vcs file content into a selected calendar (actually I have it performing that routine twice, as I want the same date and time information in two different calendars, but with different summary and description information... public versus private - courtesy of the sample Create Birthday Event script and a lot of mucking about!!
4. provide a dialog to enter participant information for events into the Location field in iCal.

I figured I should post this script here in case anybody else wants to use it or modify it. If you make changes to it to streamline it, let me know. I'm still a very newbie applescripter so I'm pretty sure this can be made more efficient.

The Script

-- the list of file types which will be processed
-- eg: {"PICT", "JPEG", "TIFF", "GIFf"}
property type_list : {"VCS"}
-- since file types are optional in Mac OS X,
-- check the name extension if there is no file type
-- NOTE: do not use periods (.) with the items in the name extensions list
-- eg: {"txt", "text", "jpg", "jpeg"}, NOT: {".txt", ".text", ".jpg", ".jpeg"}
property extension_list : {"vcs"}

-- This droplet processes files dropped onto the applet

on open these_items
repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items
set VCS_file to item i of these_items
set the item_info to info for VCS_file
if (folder of the item_info is false) and (alias of the item_info is false) and ((the file type of the item_info is in the type_list) or the name extension of the item_info is in the extension_list) then
process item(VCSfile)
end if
end repeat
end open

-- this sub-routine processes files
on process item(VCSfile)
-- NOTE that the variable this_item is a file reference in alias format
-- FILE PROCESSING STATEMENTS GOES HERE
-- this section reads the .vcs file into the variable the_text and counts the paragraphs
set the_text to read VCS_file
set parcount to count paragraphs in the_text
set nu_text to ""
set {oldtids, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, ":"}

repeat with x from 1 to parcount
set nextpar to paragraph x of the_text

end repeat
-- this section moves the text of each paragraph into a specific variable
set para1 to paragraph 1 of the_text
set para2 to paragraph 2 of the_text
set descript to paragraph 8 of the_text
set startdate to paragraph 4 of the_text
set enddate to paragraph 5 of the_text
set para6 to paragraph 6 of the_text
set summar to paragraph 7 of the_text
-- Here we remove the vcs coding from the pertinent paragraphs
if startdate begins with "DTStart" then set startdate1 to text item 2 of startdate
if descript begins with "DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE" then set descript to text items 2 thru 4 of descript as string
if summar begins with "SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE" then set summar to text item 2 of summar
-- here we start breaking down the text of the start date and end date in order to reconstitute them as something Applescript can understand
set startyear to text 1 thru 4 of startdate1
set startmonth to text 5 thru 6 of startdate1
if startmonth = "01" then set startmonth to "January"
if startmonth = "02" then set startmonth to "February"
if startmonth = "03" then set startmonth to "March"
if startmonth = "04" then set startmonth to "April"
if startmonth = "05" then set startmonth to "May"
if startmonth = "06" then set startmonth to "June"
if startmonth = "07" then set startmonth to "July"
if startmonth = "08" then set startmonth to "August"
if startmont

Using Applescript to edit a .vcs file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.