Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Express Card Firewire 800 adapter no faster than Firewire 400

I have the original edition macbook pro that only has one firewire 400 port. I was looking to speed up my work so I bought a Belkin firewire 800 ExpressCard expecting it to improve my speed. I tested it against the firewire 400 and it downloaded from my external drive at the exact same speed. Have I wasted my money on the ExpressCard? Does the express card max out at the fw400 speed. Or do I need to make some adjustment to make it perform at the fw800 level? I though I could cure my firewire envy issue with this but it seems I'm stuck with what I got. lol. Thanks in advance for the help.

MacBook Pro1,1, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Belkin Firwire800 Express Card

Posted on Jan 10, 2008 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2008 12:57 PM

Well. The bottleneck can be anything. It may be your external HDD. Firewire 800 just means that the maximum rate of transfer would be 800Mbps. The MBP has the PCI express 1x speed. That can support upto 2000 Mbps. So the expresscard wouldn't be a problem.

Sridhar.

Message was edited by: Srisri
3 replies

Express Card Firewire 800 adapter no faster than Firewire 400

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.