Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X v10.3: How can I install without a DVD drive?

I bought an iMac G3 off ebay. (600 MHz, 265 MB RAM, 40 GB HD)

I bought it this morning, and I just saw it comes with Mac, OS X 10.1

I just relized that it comes with a CD drive, does this mean I can't update to 10.3/10.4 because the install discs are DVDs?

Thanks,

Michael K

Message was edited by: NoaMichael

Message was edited by: NoaMichael

iMac G3, Mac OS X (10.1.x), 600 Mhz, 265 MBs Ram, 40 GB HD

Posted on Jan 10, 2008 2:40 PM

4 replies

Jan 3, 2011 8:47 AM in response to NoaMichael

Noa:

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

Congratulations on your new iMac G3.

Your computer will support up to Tiger (OS X 10.4.11) and certainly Panther.

The full Retail Version of Panther (10.3x) comes on three CDs, so it should not be a problem for you to install it if your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Panther. Your computer currently has 256 MB of RAM which will be barely sufficient. I suggest you consider upgrading your RAM to at least 512 MB. Your computer will support up to 1 GB of RAM: 2 - PC100 3.3V 168-pin SDRAM. Adding another 256 MB module or a 512 MB module will have you sitting pretty. You will find a list of popular brands with price comparisons at ramseeker.

Tiger normally comes on a DVD, although you may be able to get your hands on a CD set, which Apple released through its Media Exchange Progam which has now expired. However, even if you have the DVD you have optons.

If your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Tiger but does not have a DVD drive here are your options:
*Use an external Firewire DVD Drive.
*Use Firewire Target Disk Mode. Take a look at the article Installing Tiger without a DVD drive which describes these procedures.

Tiger can be purchased at The Apple Store. You can also find the Full Retail Version, if you shop carefully, at online outlets like FastMac, HardcoreMac, AllMac, etc. You can also purchase Tiger on eBay if you are very careful, read all documentation and ask questions to be sure you are getting the Full Retail Version.

Please do post back with further questions or comments.

Cheers 🙂

cornelius

Message was edited by: cornelius

Jan 3, 2011 8:47 AM in response to NoaMichael

Welcome To  Discussions Michael K!

Are the original system discs included?

If it hasn't already been done, before you install a newer version of OS X, you MUST first install this Firmware Update.

Be sure not to purchase grey, upgrade or machine specific CDs or DVDs.
Panther is only on CDs, not DVDs.
Tiger and Leopard are on DVD.
The discs should look exactly like the images in the links posted below, and not say Upgrade, CPU Drop-in DVD, or "This software is part of a hardware bundle purchase - not to be sold seperately." on them.
Additional info in these links.
Using OS X Install CDs/DVDs On Multiple Macs
What's A Computer Specific Mac OS X Release
Software Update, Upgrade: What's The Difference?

Full Retail Version, of the Panther Install CDs
Full Retail Version, of the Tiger Install DVD

Caveat Emptor!
If any are presently available, examine these items very carefully, and if in doubt, ask questions of the seller before purchase!
Panther On eBay
Tiger On eBay

Once Panther 10.3.x is installed, you can use the 10.3.9 Combo Update, to upgrade to the final version.

If Tiger 10.4.x is installed, use the PPC 10.4.11 Combo Update, to upgrade to the current version.

There are Tiger discs available on CDs, at FastMac.

ali b

Mac OS X v10.3: How can I install without a DVD drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.