Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4.11 Combo Updater (Intel) just hangs, doesn't continue...

I have 10.4.11 installed already, but have been having major problems with crashing applications -- Software Updater and all of the browsers -- so on the advice of someone on another thread, I downloaded the combo updater and was going to install that. The application opens just fine, but when I click "continue," it doesn't do anything... it just sits there...

What should I do? I'm so frustrated because when I try to solve any one problem, it just seems to uncover another problem, and I don't know what else to try!

Thanks in advance to any kind hearted souls with advice!

MacBook Pro - Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 10, 2008 7:33 PM

8 replies

Jan 10, 2008 8:22 PM in response to zoe wolverine

Hi Zoe, and welcome to the discussions! 🙂

You came to the right place, many selfless helpers here... one of us can fix it.

We/you just havent found the source of the problem yet.

First off, In Applications>Utilities, launch Disk Utility.

Verify the HD first, most important, if it says you need Repair, you'll have to boot off your Original Install CD/DVD, get past the language choice, then look in the Menubar for Disk Utility, repair it from there, then Repair Permissions, reboot and see where we are then.

Jan 11, 2008 7:43 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I ran Disk Utility (from my startup disc) and verified my HD, and strangely, it came out fine, with no problems. I booted up from my Mac OS X software install discs, though, and was going to run Disk Utility from there, just to be sure. However, I wasn't able to do that -- after I selected the language, it seemed like the only options it gave me were installing software, and since I didn't want to risk wiping my HD, i aborted... am I doing something wrong? Is there a different disk I should use?

Jan 11, 2008 11:52 AM in response to zoe wolverine

Welcome To  Discussions zoe!

THESE ARE THE STEPS FOR USING DISK UTILITY TO REPAIR YOUR HD

1.Insert the System Install disk, Mac OS X CD-ROM disk, or Restore DVD disk, then restart the computer while holding the C key. Use the System disk, of the OS, that is currently installed.
2.Once started up from CD or DVD, on the Menubar at the top of the screen, choose Disk Utility from the Installer contextual menu for Panther, or Utilities for Tiger.
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from disc to access Disk Utility.
3.Click the First Aid tab.
4.Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5.Select your Mac OS X volume, if necessary.
6.Click Repair. If DU reports errors it has fixed, re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported.
7.Repeat steps 5 & 6, but select the Hard Drive this time. It's usually the first listed with the manufacturer's model number. Make note of the S.M.A.R.T. status.
8.When finished, select Quit Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
9.Select Quit Installer from the Installer menu.
10.In the resulting pop-up window, choose restart.
11.After the computer has restarted, you can eject the CD.

ali b

Jan 13, 2008 12:54 PM in response to BDAqua

Ok, so theoretically I shouldn't have to boot from the startup CD (but thanks Ali, now I know for the future, and knowing's half the battle!). I verified my hard disk again (fine), verified permissions (fine), and restarted. But I'm still having the same problem: I'm on the Introduction page of the Mac OS X Update Combined (Intel) Installer. It says, "Welcome to the Mac OS X Installation Program. You will be guided through the steps necessary to install this software." There's a continue button. I click "continue." The continue button becomes grayed out, but nothing else happens.

Why isn't the installer running? What can I do to make it run?

Thanks again for everybody's help 🙂,

-zoe

Jan 14, 2008 6:41 PM in response to BDAqua

I was able to download and unstuff the Easy Find app and install it, yeah. That installer was a little different from the Mac OS X one in that it was a "drag to applications folder" install, rather than an installer wizard app.

I tried installing LimeWire, and I had a similar problem with that. It says, "double click to begin installation." I double click. An installer icon appears in the dock, but no new windows appear and nothing happens.

10.4.11 Combo Updater (Intel) just hangs, doesn't continue...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.